Say Hey

Say Hey

As it turned out, "sometime" was not a good measurement of time because tracking Miranda down for a week after her acceptance proved to be a difficult task. Ben knew that she usually stayed late, but after talking to her residents, he was told that she'd been leaving early lately. The arrogance in him wondered if that had anything to do with him. At the end of the day, he used the ER exit and headed to his car. Ben heard faint sniffling coming from around the corner. His body perked up and he followed the sound. Miranda was sitting on a bench, gently rocking a child in her arms. It was such a private moment that something in him wanted to turn and run before she saw him. But his heart was shredded as she wiped her face. The cold air blew and he tightened his jacket and walked to her. "Miranda? Are you okay?" He asked.

She tried to dry her face. "Yes, of course. I'm—I'm fine. Are you okay?"

"I'm doing alright," he answered. They were quiet. "Uh, who's this?"

Miranda smiled. "This is Tuck, my son."

"I didn't know you had a kid, Bailey," he said earnestly. "How old is he?"

"Three."

"He's beautiful, Miranda."

"Thank you."

"Just like his mama." Ben grinned as she rolled her eyes. "Can I sit?"

"It's a public bench."

He wanted to say, "I heard you crying". He wanted to ask if she wanted to talk. But all that came out was: "Did you have a good day?"

"Um, yeah, I suppose. I finalized my divorce today." Her eyes widened when she realized what she'd said. "I don't know why I told you that."

"I'm really sorry."

"Don't be. It was a necessary act," Miranda said matter-of-factly.

He nodded. "I'm glad you confided in me. I... I care about you."

"Why?" She fired back. "You know nothing about me."

"I know that I'm attracted to you," Ben responded. "I know that I'm here for you. If you need a shoulder to cry on or an ear that will listen."

"Thank you for that." She looked at him and Ben figured that this was the first time they'd been alone—aside from Tuck—without the randomness of the hospital. He wanted more of these moments. "But I'm going through a lot right now and I don't think dating is the best thing."

He raised his eyebrows. "We're dating?"

"No. I mean... no, what I was saying... ugh, wipe that grin off your face, Benjamin Warren."

The way she said his name made him want to blush. "I just want to take you out to dinner. And Tuck, too; if you don't mind me meeting him officially."

Miranda paused and looked down at Tuck lovingly. Ben had to stop himself from reaching out to stroke her cheek. It looked so soft. "I think he'd like that."

"Cool. And if it progresses, then... it does." He picked up her hand. It was a risky move, but she accepted it and he breathed a sigh of relief. "And I'd be okay with that."

"I don't know," she said softly.

"Well, you already said 'yes' to dinner." Miranda pursed her lips a little. If Alpha Ben hadn't been so shaken by Miranda's presence, he probably would have kissed her. "Are you two free right now?"

"I'm sitting behind a hospital crying." She chuckled a little. "Of course, I'm free." He stood up and held out his hand, praying that she took it. "Let's go." They walked side by side for a few yards. "I'm in the front," Miranda said.

Ben jerked his head the other way. "In the deck."

"Do you want to take my number?" She asked.

"Uh, yeah, right. Definitely. Do you have a restaurant in mind?"

"Aren't you supposed to be the one with the plan?" She put a hand on her hip and smirked.

He laughed. "Yes, yes, a plan. I definitely have a plan." He was lying, but he thought quickly. Where could they go that would be nice and kid-friendly? An idea passed through, but he waved it away. It was ridiculous. After another minute, he figured that he could just ask and hopefully she wouldn't freak out. "Okay, I have something in mind."

"Mmm... I don't like the sound of that."

"It's nothing bad, but I need you to not get weird about it."

"Why would I get weird about it?"

"I was thinking that I could cook for you." He searched her face while she thought about it. "I don't have any ulterior motives or... um, you know, there's nothing malicious. I just..." Ben stopped talking and stared at her face. She looked amused at his blabbering. "Or we can go to a regular restaurant so you don't think I'm a crazy person."

"I only think you're slightly crazy," Miranda grinned. "I'll meet you at the front."

In his car, he felt jittery as shook his arms before driving to the front. Pulling up next to Miranda, he said: "You can follow me."

She tapped her steering wheel. "How else would I get there?"