Still Waters

Still Waters

No one was on the schedule and no one was called in to work. So, the next evening, he drove to Miranda's house to pick her up. He passed her car in the driveway and rang the doorbell, his heart thumping. She opened the door looking so gorgeous. Blue jeans hugged her curves and a nice blue top allowed his imagination to run wild with the tiniest view at her breasts through a deep v-cut. "You look beautiful, Miranda."

"Thank you." She scanned his body her eyes landing on his black jeans for a millisecond longer than she'd probably meant to. "You're very handsome yourself." They walked to his car and he opened the passenger door for her. "Oh, a gentleman."

He started the car and his music blared. "Sorry about that," Ben said turning it down. "So, where are we going tonight?"

"There's a Portuguese restaurant that I've been wanting to check out," she responded not looking at him. "Callie is going to, uh, meet us there, with her girlfriend."

"A double date?"

"Yeah, do you mind?"

"No, I mean, it's a little soon. I barely know you." Her face showed shock and he smiled to let her know that he was only joking.

At the red light, she finally looked at him. "I get nervous sometimes. And wanted a buffer." He met her eyes with his own. "The first time there was Tuck. That was fun and easy, so I figured that... it would just as fun if I invited my best friend and her girlfriend." She wiped her hands on her jeans.

"So, I make you nervous?"

"I didn't say that you, specifically, made me nervous." He pulled off the road and into the parking lot of a grocery store. "What are you doing?"

"Call your friends. Tell them that you can't make it. And we'll go someplace else. We'll try the restaurant a different day. We'll try the double date a different time," he said hoping to God that there would be other times.

Miranda stared at him for a second before making the call as he drove to their new destination. "A jazz club?"

He nodded and got out of the car and moved around it, opening her door. "Yes, a jazz club."

"Like it's the 40s and I'm Dinah Washington and you're Charlie Parker?"

Ben chuckled. "I love that you know those names." He held her hand as they walked toward the entrance.

The club was crowded and smoky. He turned to Miranda to tell her something and saw that she was reading a plaque on the wall. He paid the entry fees and took her by the hand again. It impressed him that she let him do it—without warning and having no idea where there were going, she just followed. They found a table in the back and he expected her to shake his hand away, but she held on, rubbing his knuckles. The music was loud and delightful. They ordered a few drinks and some appetizers, watching the artists perform. Later, Ben would admit to her that he spent majority of the time watching her face and reactions than the people on stage. He really couldn't stop looking at her, completely in awe of the fact that the surgeon had said "yes," had chosen him.

"You're not even paying attention to the poet," she said out of the corner of her mouth.

Ben blushed, thankful that it was dark enough so she didn't see. "Okay, folks, we're going to slow this down. Grab that special someone and groove to this cover of Benson's 'Still Waters'."

The guitarist started up and Ben found the courage to ask Miranda to dance. Before he could pray that she said yes, she had his hand and was dragging him onto the dance floor.

I tried to run, I tried to hide my feelings from myself

Trying to find a place on her body that didn't seem too sexual was a task, but he settled his hand on the slope of her curvy body as they moved glacially.