Love

Gon didn't sleep at all the previous night. He rises from bed, barely noticeable dark circles under his eyes. He groans, willing himself to get up and change.

He gets into his outfit for the day and heads downstairs to get a piece of toast before leaving.

Gon hopes to see Killua, but thinks it's not likely after the events of yesterday. Gon worries that Killua did something to himself. And he doesn't have Killua's address to check up on him. Gon's literally worried sick.

Nevertheless, he crosses paths with Killua at the intersection. They lock eyes, but Killua looks away.

Gon runs up to him and grabs him by the shoulder. "What the hell?!" Killua glares as Gon pulls him into an alley.

Gon pins him against the brick wall. Killua now notices the dark circles under Gon's pleading eyes. "Please." Gon's voice cracks. "Talk to me."

Killua can't look at Gon's expression. It pains him. "Why do you care about me?" Killua asks.

"Why do I care?" Gon sighs. "At first, I cared because I care about everyone. And ever since I lost a friend to suicide I've made it a personal mission to help everyone I can."

Killua's eyes widen. He didn't expect that.

"But after getting to know you, I care about you because.. well... I see you as a friend. And not like the many fake friends I've gathered. I mean, an actual friend. Someone I can talk to, someone who can talk to me." Gon's eyes plead Killua to look at him.

Killua sighs, still not looking at him. "Yesterday, I... someone found out about my sister. That she was trans, and she had killed herself because my family wasn't accepting of her and she was bullied at school constantly. They were mocking her. Saying she was a spoiled brat that just wanted attention. Misgendering her on purpose. It pissed me off and I hit one of them." He confesses.

Gon stares in disbelief, his own anger building up rapidly.

"And after beating me they..." Killua holds himself, shaking.

"They what?" Gon asks.

Killua squeezes his eyes shut, trembling. "Th-they took my c-clothes off... and..." Tears start pouring down his cheeks. Gon's eyes widen.

Gon realizes the position he's holding Killua in could be scaring him due to what those guys did to him. He quickly lets Killua go and pulls him into a hug.

Killua's eyes open in shock, but he closes them again and hugs Gon back, sobbing into his shoulder. "I'm sorry." Gon whispers. "I'm so sorry."

Killua nods, still crying into Gon's shirt. Gon wants to ask who did it so he can pummel them into the ground, but he doesn't want Killua to have to think about it. Instead he runs his hands through Killua's hair and provides the comfort he needs. They'll talk about it later.

Killua sinks into Gon, relishing in their closeness. His time denying the feelings he has for Gon is over. He's fully accepted it.

They let go of eachother, and Gon straightens up his shirt. Gon grabs hold of Killua's hands. "Please. Talk to me from now on, okay. I- I really care about you..."

Killua blushes. "Okay." He whispers.

Gon smiles sweetly, and they walk out of the alley. Gon is still holding Killua's hand, mindful of the few scars that trail up to his palm.

Gon probably doesn't think much of it. But Killua sure does. Gon's hand feels so warm in contrast to Killua's cold palms. Killua decides to risk it and wrap his free arm around Gon's arm, leaning on his shoulder as they walk. Gon doesn't mind, which is a good sign to Killua.

Gon's gay. Killua reminds himself suddenly, a blush creeping onto his cheeks. He ignores the sudden reminder.

They get to school and Killua sees that people immediately take notice of the way he's clinging onto Gon. People whisper, and Killua feels like crawling into a hole and dying. It's one thing if people gossip about Killua. But Killua feels terrible that they're gossiping about Gon now, too. Because of him.

Killua tries to hide behind Gon's arm, unsuccessful. Gon glares at anyone he catches whispering on their way to Killua's locker.

He's acting like a protective boyfriend. Killua blushes at the thought.

After Killua puts his bag away and gets what he needs for first period, the two head to Gon's locker together. On the way, they encounter Retz.

Retz has her arms crossed, and she glares at Killua. Killua gulps.

Gon opens his locker, putting his bag inside. "What do you want, Retz?" Gon grabs his supplies for first period.

"Babe. I thought we talked about... whatever this is." Retz gestures to Killua.

"Yeah. We did." Gon's still holding Killua's hand. "And I told you. You can't dictate my life for me. Nobody can. There's no reason for you to be an exception. And don't call me babe."

Retz holds her glare. "Why shouldn't I? We're practically together. Everyone knows it. And that's reason enough for me to be an exception."

"We're not together. We never were." Gon glares back. "Now stop bothering us."

"Oh yeah? Would you still be so protective of him if he were a fag?" Retz grins, placing her hands on her hips.

Gon's blood is practically boiling with anger. "Don't use that word. Of course I'd still care about him if he were gay. I'm not a homophobic asshole unlike you and everyone else in this school."

Retz scowls. "Would you still feel that way if the one he were gay for is-"

"That's enough!" Killua yells. "Would you shut up already?!"

Both Retz and Gon are taken aback by Killua's sudden outburst. Retz cackles. "No I'm not finished-"

"Yes. Yes you are." Gon slams his locker shut and pushes past her, Killua trying to keep up without their hands detaching.

Killua's relieved that they had left before she could finish telling Gon about his feelings for him. Maybe Gon wouldn't have reacted so badly. Maybe he'd feel the same way. But Killua doesn't want to risk it quite yet.

They part ways for first period, neither wanting to let the other go. Killua dreads walking into class like he does everyday, but as per usual he ignores himself and walks in. He grabs his seat, always in the back row. Classmates snicker and gossip, but Killua doesn't pay them any mind.

His head space is already quite occupied with Gon at the moment anyways.

I'm... in love. I'm really in love. Who knew that just surviving an extra week would cause me to meet... the one?

Reason #5: Love