Freedom

"Let's run away, Killua."

Killua's eyes widen, snaking in the direction of his best friend. He couldn't have heard that right.

"Let's run away. From all of this. The hospital, your family, your problems." Gon looks Killua dead in the eye, holding both his hands in his. "Let's run away."

"Where to?"

"It doesn't matter. Let's just... go where our feet take us. And when we're tired we could go to my place. Or Kurapika and Leorio's apartment. Anywhere but here." Gon tightens his hold on Killua's hands. Neither of them can stand being in this hospital.

This hospital in particular... brings back memories Gon would rather forget.

"Alright."

It's not Gon's first time sneaking out of this specific hospital. He still remembers the route he took when he was fourteen. Killua follows silently behind him, wearing Gon's sweatshirt, gym shorts, and the padded hospital socks.

Gon sees their window, quite literally, and rushes with Killua by his side. Gon climbs out first to give Killua a hand. Luckily they're on the first floor. Killua climbs through the opening and falls into Gon's arms.

Gon's hesitant to put Killua down, looking at the course and rough pavement and the corroded sidewalks. "Uhm, I'm just gonna carry you to the nearest Walmart so we can get you a pair of shoes."

Heat flushes to Killua's face. "C- carry me?"

"Well- I mean- look at the ground!" Gon nods to beneath them. "You can't walk on that in socks only."

Killua sighs. "Fine. It's impossible to change your mind about anything anyways." He wraps his arms around Gon's neck, not making eye contact.

Gon grins, marching off to get Killua a pair of shoes before they begin today's adventure.

"This place looks competed different during the day." Killua looks around the little lake they had escaped to with Kalluto.

"Sure does." Gon agrees. "Let's just lay down for a while, catch a breather."

Killua nods, sitting down on the soft grass. Gon sits by his side and lays back. Birds sing above. Rather than an ethereal escape, by day this place more closely resembles a forest in a Disney movie.

"Gon... there's something... you should know." Killua begins.

Gon lifts his head, and sits up to lean on his elbows. "Yeah?"

"I have to go back home."

"What?"

"I won't be free wherever I go." Killua shrugs. "My mother put a tracking device in each of us children. She got the idea when Illumi tried the exact same thing we're doing now."

"Then why don't we get it removed?" Gon suggests. "It can't be that difficult."

Killua sighs. "Except if we go to a hospital they'll run my identity through the system and notify my parents that I'm there. My parents will deny the surgery to get it removed. Obviously."

"What if we don't go to a hospital?"

"I'm not going to some sketchy underground illegal operator and then wake up without a kidney." Killua scoffs, chucking a little rock into the pond.

Gon laughs. "No! Of course not!"

"Okay then what do you propose?"

"I know a guy."

"Gon, are you sure about this?" Killua asks, crossing his arms.

"It may hurt a little, but it'll be worth it I promise." Gon smiles reassuringly.