Chapter 25: Like Father Like Son

Michael's POV:

"Happy birthday brother." My sister Janet whispered next to me before giving me a hug.

"Janet you don't have to whisper. Mother and Joseph can't hear you from my bedroom." I
giggled while hugging her back.

"Michael don't you think it's a little cruel for us not to celebrate birthdays? Or anything for that matter?" She asked looking up from my chest.

"Oh common Dunk. It's not cruelty, it's just the practices that we were raised with. Our religious beliefs say that we can't celebrate any holidays or birthdays. It's just what mother taught us."

"Stop calling me Dunk!" she giggled angrily, "And isn't that a little intense? I mean saying that we 'CAN'T' do something? Isn't religion all about having principles and a mind of your own? I don't think that's very fair if you ask me." she kept her tone in a sassy level. I laughed and pulled away from the hug while looking at her with raised eyebrows.

"Oh, and since when do you know so much about principles and religion? Huh? You little lawyer." I asked, smiling wide.

"Since being a Jehovah's Witness stopped my favorite brother from celebrating his 18th birthday."

When she said that, my big smile faded into a tiny one, and my eyes became soft and heavy.

"Well first of all, we don't have to celebrate it in order to be happy about it. I mean I'm finally eighteen! I can have my own choices now and don't need to run it by Joseph to do it. That by itself is already a celebration. So don't you worry about me. I'm fine." I brought her in for another hug and kissed her head. "Or at least I think I am." I whispered that last part to myself trying to not worry Janet.

"So...I'm your favorite brother huh? I knew it! Ha!" I started tickling her with all my power while both of our laughs crowded the room. But then I heard loud steps on the other side of the door.

I knew where they were coming from. WHO they were coming from. But I also knew that I didn't want to deprive my little sister of a fun childhood moment with her brother. So I kept tickling her and making her laugh. Seconds later, the bedroom door opened aggressively making Janet and I jump back in fear. Not because of how the door was opened, but because of who opened it.

"Janet go on and get out of the room. Help your mother in the kitchen. I gotta talk to Michael." my father's rough ghetto voice rang through our ears.

"Yes." Janet quickly got up and without even looking back.

I shifted in my bed as I watched Joseph closed the door slowly. That single action made my body shiver. Usually when he came to my room and closed the door when I was little meant that I was about to get an ass whooping.

"You're eighteen, you know what that means Michael. I've been preparing you for this moment since you could speak." Joseph said with a hint of excitement in his voice. "Jackson Enterprises was a business your grandfather worked really hard on creating, and I worked really hard on maintaining the legacy he left for us. As soon as I was your age my father started the process of making me the boss of bosses. Now it's your turn to-..."

"I'M NOT TAKING OVER YOUR STUPID EMPIRE JOSEPH!!!" I screamed from the top of my lungs as I frustratingly jumped out of the bed.

I could never explain with words the look he gave me after I screamed. His hazel eyes got a deep shade of green and his eyebrows furrowed in the creepiest way. It was like the stare a murderer gave right before he went after his victim. Fury, rage, coldness and mostly, evil.