Hospital room

Hey guys,

I hope you like this chapter, sorry it's taken so long to update.

_hello_hi

• • • • •

Over the next three weeks I continued life as normal. I hadn't heard more from Colton's voice but the thought of him alive haunts me. I can barely sleep without the thought of seeing him again which was conflictingly paired with the prospect of losing my son forever on my mind ever night.

For a lot of my night-times, I just stayed with him. When I knew he was asleep and I couldn't, I would go into his room. The soft carpet beneath my bare feet was a calming sensation. The soft blue light from the car nightlight in the corner of the room was relaxing. I'd stroke his hair gently, the delicate strands falling onto the pillow like water from a rock fall. I'd often fell asleep sitting next to his bed. My head resting on the edge of the bed frame, drooping on one shoulder as I found comfort in my son's presence.

Drew was my son. He may be part of this apparent coma dream but he was my son. If I was going to leave this all behind and wake from the accident I had been in and from this fantasy world, I was going to spend the remaining time with him.

I hadn't noticed at first but the most recent days had become blurry, almost faded. It was like my eyesight had been wrapped in increasing layers of cotton wool. Time seemed to rush by and stand still all at the same time, my memory barely retaining more than time with Drew. I knew that my body was physically healing, away from this unconscious state that I was playing out, now aware of reality.

• • • • •

It was a dreary weekend, the weather was appalling with the clouds a thunderous grey, white shading high in the air as they swirled in the air boastfully echoing in the sky, completely free as humanity shielded itself from the powerful nature high above. The film playing on the flashing TV in from of me was a Disney classic, The Lion King. Seen and loved by millions, transgressing generations, it is a marvellous film. The music of Be Prepared filling my ears as the film progressed, Drew's excitement of off-key singing and laughter joining in; even after seeing it dozens of times before, we both love watching it. Sweetness accompanied a satisfying crunch as a palmful of popcorn graced my tongue before I returned my attention to the film.

Just as the death of Mustafa played in front of me, the majestic lion falling to his fate, my eyesight blurred, but not because tears were welling up. Everything became fuzzy; then I saw nothing at all. My consciousness was floating through an empty space filled with a thick static. Throughout the inky space my heartbeats pounded loudly, echoing in my ears. I tried moving but to no avail, with multiple attempts I slowly pried open my swollen eyes to meet a dismal view of a magnolia coloured hospital room, the door a navy blue.

As I struggled to regain the use of my limbs a friendly looking nurse came through. His short hair was professional, the blonde strands complimenting the sky blue scrubs she wore, a dark green watch hanging from his pocket. Comfortable black shoes covered his feet undoubtedly aching from the long shift. A shocked look on his face until it switched like a lightbulb into a professional calming smile.

He rushed over, pushing the emergency call button on the headrest. A swarm of medical professionals swooped in. The doctor taking charge, carefully assessing my condition. My throat too sore to talk whilst my head refused to move so I was basically useless as she checked me over.

I patiently waited, the strain of waking up dragging on my body, pulling me in its calming embrace as it called me towards sleep once again. The doctor made sure to tell me what injuries I had sustained after what happened.