Chapter Fourty-Five: The Heart Knows Best

- I don't think I've ever felt emptier

"Who was that? He had the same name as daddy?" Ariana asks me once we pile home in an armful of glitter, cotton candy, toys and new clothes

"That was a bad man Ana." I muse, taking a chunk of the blissful candy and chucking it into my mouth.

She giggles at my over-expressed happiness and then swings herself so she's in front of me.

"But why is he bad? He seemed really nice."

"He's daddy's father." I give her a sad look. "He gave your father away and put him in an orphanage. He left Tom just like Grindelwald left you."

The realization hits her like a ton of bricks.

"Oh." She says quietly. "Why can't I tell which people are bad? I always end up hurt. I don't wanna hurt momma." She sniffles and I engulf her in a hug.

"That's my job. I'll keep the bad people away from you until you learn how to distinguish them for yourself and even then I'll still fight to keep you safe."

She smiles up at me and I place the bags up in her room.

"I need to go back to school now. I'll tuck you in alright?" I smile at her and she nods eagerly.

"I can't wait to go to Hogwarts!" She giggles.

She'd showered and was now in some adorable blue pyjamas Aberforth had gotten her.

"You'll be in Hogwarts and I would have graduated." I tell her sadly. "This time I'll be the one waiting for you to visit little old me."

She laughs at that. "Just teach me to apparate like you and Daddy and I can come visit all the time too."

"Hmm." I think about it, tucking her in and lying down beside her, hoisting the blanket up to her chin. "Apparating is dangerous."

"You do it!" She whines making me grin in amusement.

"We'll see." I whisper and kiss her forehead. "I'll stay until you fall asleep." I shut the lights off with a flick of my hand and lie down beside her, my head resting gently on her own.