Chapter 1: End of the Line

My name is Cheribim

My name is Cheribim.

Soldier for the Grand Army of the Intergalactic Stratocracy.  

Only 66 days remained until our universe would inevitably cease to exist.  Previous audio logs served as a haunting reminder of what was at stake.  Our enemy was already upon us.  They intended to wipe us out. 

Most of us came from Earth-77.  A world that hardly differed from other worlds found in alternate universes stretched across the fabrics of space and time. 

We were human beings struggling to survive like most civilizations who had come and gone long before us.  However, unlike other societies, we were among the oldest and most advanced.

In other words, we were a Type III interstellar civilization. Our society was heavily militarized, and we held tremendous power throughout the cosmos. We conquered worlds, harvested planets, and laid waste to whoever stood in our way.

After the United States government was disbanded a few centuries ago, numerous organizations and PMCs (Private Military Companies) rose from the ashes, hoping to guide humanity toward a new era. But they were no match for the Stratocracy.

We had reached the pinnacle of our technological achievements, and the mantle of the universe was officially ours

We had reached the pinnacle of our technological achievements, and the mantle of the universe was officially ours. Our species thrived among the stars, harvested energy from their dying cores, and governed its neighboring planetary colonies through order and sacrifice.  

As a species, we have survived mass extinction events and cheated death numerous times.  Far longer than we ever should've.  Thousands of years past our expiration date.   Well beyond what Mother Nature intended for mankind.

Though we were alive, we were slowly dying.  We didn't know why, and we could only speculate.  Perhaps years upon years of warped atmospherics took a massive toll on our bodies. In addition, resources were at an all-time low, we were soiled from intergalactic warfare, and there wasn't enough to go around.

Many of us were surprised that our luck hadn't run out. But, of course, it should've run out a long time ago.  But as all things do, it eventually would.