Chapter 6: Feels Like Home

Judy gestured me down to her level to say something. I crouched as low as I could, but she still had to tiptoe.

"Uh, Cherry?" she whispered.  "A bunny can call another bunny cute, but when other animals do it, it's a little offensive, so be careful." 

"Right," I pondered for a moment. "My bad."

Judy laughed.  "That's okay.  You didn't know, so it's no big deal."

She walked back to where her other siblings were partially hiding and beckoned them to come out. Although some were quite shy, Judy's presence seemed to calm them down a bit and gradually build their courage to walk toward me. Before I knew it, more and more were pouring out of the other arched doorways until the room started to fill with tiny bunnies, ranging in many unique colors such as gray, gold brown, cream, pale yellow, black, and white to name a few. Everywhere there were so many eyes staring in astonishment that they seemed to multiply in each place I looked.

As before back at the farm stand, I lowered myself to try and get to their level and appear the least menacing as possible. There were many murmurings and mumblings all around and most dared not to come within four feet of me. Next to Judy, I could see her little niece who was fidgeting with her shirt and carefully hiding behind her.

"Heya, fam! This is my friend Cheribim; He's really friendly and wants to say hello! Come say Hi!"

Apparently, Judy wasn't very good at reading minds - let alone my mind.

There was still hesitation among them but Jack and Luna came skipping through the crowd and came within two feet of my knee before stopping in their tracks.

"Jack, Luna," Judy called. "Remember how brave you were earlier today? Show everyone how brave you are."

I looked over at Jack and extended my hand before him. Holding it out flat, I gestured him to give me a high-five, if that was a thing here. He looked at my hand, gave me a confused look, and peered over at Judy who gave him a reassuring smile.

"Give him Paw!" she smiled.

So that's what it's called here. Jack returned his eyes to my hand, glanced up at me, and I gave him one big nod. Without question, he raised his paw and swatted my palm while I cushioned the impact to hopefully not hurt him. He smiled with proudness and then Luna came over and did the same exact thing.

"See? He not mean." Jack insisted. 

"Not mean, not mean!" Luna sweetly repeated.

The other little bunnies looked at each other and tried to decide what to do. Judy then came closer with her little niece and I couldn't help but admire the kinderschema she had.  Indeed, she was an adorable bunny with bright hazel eyes. Compared to her siblings, she was much shorter.

"Hello," I greeted, coming to her level. "What's your name?"

"Tell him your name," Judy gently urged.

She looked up and down, fiddling with her dress." C-C-Cotton," she mumbled.

"Cotton?"

"...Yeah,"

Her tail was just as fluffy so that'd help me remember.  Thus, I nodded. "Cotton."

She lightly nodded back.

"Nice to meet you Cotton. My name is... Cheribim," I stuttered.

She tilted her head.  "Cherry?"

"No, not Cherry, Cheribim." 

"Cherry," she said again with a shy smile.  

I decided to roll with it and I nodded,  "Fine, Cherry."