Chapter 26: Victory is Mine

The tiger officer fired the first shot, as the tranquilizer dart hit just above the heart of my chest plate.

Dead silence filled the lobby as the only sound one could make out was a soft metallic ping. I slowly looked down and saw the dart resting on the floor, with a bright green stabilizer and a completely broken tip.

The needle failed to implant itself which caused a great wave of bewilderment among the animal officers. The dart's structural integrity was no match against an intergalactic military-grade alloy from another time and another universe. Thus, I remained standing and they somehow thought that I'd be brought down with ease. They were wrong.

However, instead of reevaluating the situation, their next move was to simply try again.  Thus, they all rechecked their pistols - to ensure they were actually loaded - and pointed them at my chest. 

The two kneeling wolves upfront took their shots, sending two more darts flying in my direction. 

The first dart skidded off my right shoulder and the second one crashed into my lower abdomen and likewise fell to the floor. That was close but both darts failed miserably. The two wolves desperately checked to make sure their weapons actually fired and sure enough, they did fire.

"He's not dropping!"

"But...but how?"

"What's going on?"

"Chief?"

Never had I seen so many wide-eyed animals before. Even the chief's jaw hung slightly open and the cheetah behind the circular desk had one sprinkled paw over his mouth. None of them knew what to think... or what to do.

"Again!" the chief ordered. "Everyone on my mark!"

The ZPD officers tightened their stances and prepared for the ultimate squad attack. The chief raised his arm to give them the signal.

"One!" he started, pausing for a brief moment.

"Two!" we looked at each other in the eye.

"Three!"

His arm dropped and all the animal officers fired their tranquilizer dart pistols in unison. The hippo took a shot.

The elephant pressed the trigger. The jaguar aimed and fired.

The timberwolf launched a dart.

The two polar bears both hurled darts.

The black and grizzly bears sent off their shots. 

The tigers fired again.

And the sheep fired together.

But it all resulted in the same outcome. The darts simply bounced off the suit with zero effect. I sighed at their pathetic attempts.

Needle tips were crushed, darts grazed off to the side, and their pathetic supply of useless ammunition diminished. Now I had a collection of broken needles at my boots which summed up their tactical failure. It was as if a bunch of children was using rubber bands to launch sharp pencils at a solid concrete wall.

Now they were beyond the border of confusion. "It can't be!"

"But... but that's... that's not possible!" an officer gasped. "There's no way..."

These fools weren't getting the message. They reminded me of those natives from other worlds who used stone-aged weaponry against their interstellar invaders. Those poor souls often perished, thinking that they had life all figured out until they meet someone that's decades ahead of their time.