Chapter 28: Close Encounter

The air vent cover from the ceiling had fallen to the floor by means that can only be explained...

Either this room was falling apart or someone forgot to tighten the bolts. What a surprise. I grew tired of surprises and just wished to have a quiet, peaceful night. Was that too much to ask?

I heard a few footsteps coming from the above air vents. Was this place infested with raccoons or something? Nevermind, this was Zootopia. But who or what exactly would be in the ventilation system? The maintenance crew, perhaps?

A figure popped its head through the opening, dropped his backpack to the floor, jumped down from the ceiling, and made a soft landing with his paws.

As the light shone upon him, his fur didn't light up as black or gray at all. Not like a raccoon. Rather, his fur lit up with brilliant red color.

It was him.

That same red fox with the smirky grin from earlier

That same red fox with the smirky grin from earlier. He wore the same police uniform but in a more casual fashion. His sleeves were rolled up, his tie was loosened, shirt untucked, and he carried a small backpack instead of his usual utility belt.

Another surprise. Though, I didn't know what to say.  For his own sake, he'd better have a good reason to be here.

"Hey buddy, did you miss me?" he smiled moving closer. He leaned on the table and we simply stared at each other for a few moments.

"Wilde?" I asked, thinking it was a furry hallucination.

"The one and only," he gestured to himself.

He looked around the room, examined the area, and smirked at all the chains wrapped around my armor. I guess he thought it was funny for some reason. He crossed his arms and lightly chuckled at me.

"Well... that went well." he sarcastically commented with a single shrug, "I told you so."

He made me think back to the lobby and all the craziness that happened there. I hated proving him right but I couldn't hide it anymore.

I clenched both fists. "Why are you here?"

"Thought I'd come check on you, get to know you better," he replied, walking a lap around me and inspecting my restraints, "Hmm, not too comfortable, is it?"

"No..." I shook my head, not knowing what else to say to a talking fox.

 "So, you're the Chair Bum, right?"

The creaking metal chair and the straight jacket made me feel like one, but I didn't respond.

"Or was it Cherry Bum?" he pondered out loud.

 "It's Cheribim," I corrected, feeling displeasure towards the fox.

He casually nodded.  "Well, that is also a strange name, not gonna lie. Carrots wasn't joking after all."