Chapter 14: Preydator

"I can't find the chip reader!" Bonnie fretted.

"Huh?" Judy furrowed her brows, surprised as I was.

Her mother clarified.  "You know, the one for the Carrot iPhone.  We can't find it anywhere."

Judy's phone screen filled with her father's face as he spoke.  "Yeah, we checked the vegetable stand and don't know where the heck we left it."

"Mr. Growley and his family are here right now.  They wanna buy two crates of blueberries and cucumbers!"

"But they only brought a Furs National Bank credit card.  They didn't bring cash."

Judy humorously rolled her eyes. "Dad, it's in the center console. Under the seat."

"Where?"

"In the truck."

"Okay, I'm walking over there now."

As Stu was walking towards the truck on the phone screen, he awkwardly held his camera in a position right below his chin and the angle made his face fill the entire screen. Judy was facepalming while I was containing laughter.

"I just checked there. I didn't see it Jude."

"Check again."

The phone screen tilted upwards and all we could see was the interior truck cabin roof while we could hear Stu struggling in the background while digging through stuff.

"Where is it?"

"It's there." Judy sighed.

"I can't find it!"

"Keep looking."

"But I can't find it! It's gotta be...oh...wait...nevermind...I found it!"

 "Oh, yes, thank you, sweetie!"

 "We're good now,"

"Oh, hello Cherry!" Bonnie greeted. "Didn't see you there. How was the run?"

Judy held the phone screen for me and tilted it my way. "It was great Bonnie. Thank you." I waved. 

"Did you get rained on?" Stu asked.

Judy and I looked at each other.  "Rained on?"

"You probably didn't then. But we heard a loud thunder a couple of hours ago and it scared the dickens out of your mother and me."

 "That's right Stu, they say it came from the forest and we were a little worried about you guys."

"We were gonna call earlier but both our phones were dead so we had to borrow Violet's charger."

 "Mom, Dad, we're fine. We heard it but...we were safe!"

"Oh, thank goodness!"

"Yep, we're good. We'll be heading home soon." 

"Alright sweetie, see you then!"

"Tell Mr. Growley hi for me!"

 "Oh, we sure will!

"Love you Jude! Be safe."

"Bye-Bye!"

...

The call ended and Judy put her phone away. That was the first 2D video call I've done in a while because in my world we did 3D video calls instead. They had many advantages but one feature I did not like was having a 360-degree hologram view of the user I was chatting with because I could care less about how their backside looked.

We took a moment to look around the area then Judy and I looked at each other to figure out what to do next. She was waiting for me to speak but I was also waiting for her to speak so I just stood there and said nothing.