Chapter 15: Superstitious

" ...Jay might know what I really am. Is that a problem?" I wondered, thinking she would see it as an issue.

"Eh..." she casually shrugged in dismissal. "I wouldn't worry about it."

She then resumed back to walking and I simply stood there thinking to myself That was easy. For some reason, I unexpectedly felt a little worried but my concerns were now completely gone in the snap of a finger. Jay knew and I knew that he knew so there was no need to lose sleep over it because he's not that type of mammal. Since that was taken care of, I proceeded in following Judy back to the house.

As we strolled along, I kept thinking about predators and prey. Two sides of the same coin. In addition, I kept thinking about that picture... the one Judy showed me... it reminded me of the racial inequalities that existed back in my homeworld, especially because of the contrasting black and white colors of the two mammals.

As soon as our society put on the same military armor, racism gradually vanished because we all looked the same. While that indirectly ended racism for a time, it eventually led to other problems that we traded for. Humanity would always have stumbling blocks: War, disease, poverty, racism, religion, injustice, climate change, armageddon, and many other things. Take your pick. We can try our best to handle each of them in a delicate manner but we can never solve all at once. Don't kid yourself as those politicians once did, regardless of what side you're on or what side you think you're on.

Sooner or later, pride, power, and selfishness will eventually kick in, promises will be broken, and all will lead to the final demise, as it already did with us. Extinction: A common enemy and an ultimate enemy feared among common strugglers such as animals and humans. Humans were out of the game now.

Sometimes there's only one thing left to do. Embrace it. The end will come eventually, we can delay the inevitable, but there's no stopping it. Things may seem bad now, the world may be falling apart, all hell may be breaking loose, but it's not over yet. As long as we're breathing, the game's not officially over. Thus, be not idle, rise, stand, and step forward. There's still good in this world and it's always something worth fighting for. If there's breath in your chest then there's always a breath of hope somewhere...

Speaking of which, my breath reeked a bit.

Wait a minute, what was I thinking? That forest must've diverted my thoughts. I couldn't tell before but I definitely noticed it now since my helmet was off. It wasn't the cherry smoothie but rather it was the fact that I was slightly dehydrated from the morning run. Within the narrow compartment confines of my nano-suit, I actually had one last extra piece of Altoid that I stowed away while working my last day at the lab. It was a completely random find, I'll admit, but I welcomed it. It was one of those things that you experience as a human when you unexpectedly find an item hidden in your pockets, whether that be lint, a paper clip, a rubber band, a dollar bill, some change, headphones, fidget spinner, dice, or any other lost treasure.

 It was one of those things that you experience as a human when you unexpectedly find an item hidden in your pockets, whether that be lint, a paper clip, a rubber band, a dollar bill, some change, headphones, fidget spinner, dice, or any other los...