Part 24

Toko and I have been carrying on with our normal lives -or as normal as you can in the killing games- lives at Hopes Peak Academy, regardless of our en counter with Mukuro Ikusaba.

We know she must be planning something, although unbeknownst to Toko and I. We haven't told any of the other students about our encounter, uncertain of wether they were talked to as well, or as to who might be the mastermind. While I trust all of them-especially Toko, Monokuma specifically said the mastermind has set foot in the school, and that the only people who are alive in this school are the students.

While the implications of those statements aren't pleasant, there is no such thing as pleasant in a situation where you have to kill and betray your friends.

Personally, I haven't fully explored the new floor. Toko and I have been mainly keeping to our own, thinking about what Mukuro said.
"Maybe we should go check out some of the new rooms Toko?" I suggest.
"G-Good idea Y/N!" Toko agrees with me, and we head up all the flights of stairs.

We arrive at the top, and we come to the first room we are checking, and head inside.

We are immediately assaulted by a gust of cold air. The room is covered with a layer of ice, and at the back wall there are rectangles, each with two squares on them. Some have blue lights on, some of the lights are off. There are 7 lights on, and the rest are off.

An uneasy feeling washes over me, and I look over to Toko. Sensing my emotions, she comes and gives me a hug. I give her a smile, before curiosity gets the better of me.
"Toko? Should we look in those? They look like doors." I inquire, gesturing towards the lit boxes. She fidgets slightly, before nodding. We walk over to them, before she looks at me, obviously wanting me to open it.

I grasp the handle, and pull it open. It is like a drawer, and I can only open it so far before Toko and I see the contents. A shrill scream pierces through my shock, and a thud follows shortly after.

Still horrified by seeing my friends cadavers, it takes me a moment to register Toko falling over. When I do, I rush to her side. By the time I get there, her small frame has sprung back up, and Genocide Jack came out.

"Oh! Hello! HIYA! Y/N! What's up with the corpses?" She asks.
"I- I really don't know. But something's odd Jack..." I  reply.
"Whats wrong master?" Jack looks at me, confused and concerned.
"Look at how many lights there are. 7 of our friends died, and there are only 7 lights on." I almost whisper. Jack tilts her head, almost quizzically.
"Don't those numbers match up master?" You can hear the confusion in her voice.
"No, there should be 8 lights on. 7 of our friends died, and Hifumi died as well." I explain, and her face relaxes, satisfied with my response.
"Mah tongues guetting cold in here master." Jacks long and exposed tongue would probably freeze off if we weren't careful.

Jacks appearance has left us in no fit state to continue searching, so we head back down to our dorm.

I hope you don't mind that I was a bit late to upload, and I hope you are enjoying the story so far!