ch 14 : a little mystery

When you opened your eyes the next morning in the hospital wing, your entire body felt like it had been lit on fire and then run over. Your head was throbbing, and everything slightly spun as you tried to pull yourself into a seated position.

You looked around in confusion, not sure why you were there. As Madame Pomfrey hurried to your side, flashes of events from the night before began to come back to you. You remembered Fred bringing you here after you found him outside the Gryffindor common room, and you were vaguely aware that you may have been in the hospital because of the party.

Madame Pomfrey hurried to your side and tutted, "How are you feeling? You had a quite a night."

You questioned, "What happened? My memory is only slightly coming back to me."

"It appears that you were given a spiked drink at a Slytherin party last night. It seems like your red-haired friend found you before anything could happen to you, but you fell and cracked your head open while he was trying to understand what had happened," She explained as she redressed the bandages on your head.

You nodded, murmuring, "Yeah, I was at that Slytherin party, and they kindly gave me a muggle fountain drink that I had had when I was kid sometimes. Everything after that is fuzzy. You don't recall me saying anything embarrassing, do you?"

Slightly giggling, she murmured, "Well, that depends if you have a boyfriend named George."

With your cheeks flaming, you groaned, "No, I don't. He's just my friend."

She laughed, "Well, you told, uh, Freddie I believe, about how you cute you found George to be. He just chuckled, but you had grabbed onto him before he left to tell him this. It was the last thing you said before you completely lost consciousness actually."

You nodded slowly, slightly remembering saying something similar to Fred in the common room before you came here. You asked, "I need to go talk to Fred. Is it alright if I go and talk to him quickly? I can come back here right after, but it's important that I talk to him as soon as possible."

She shook her head and sighed, "I'm sorry, dearie. I just cannot allow that. You're in quite terrible shape, but I've been doing my best to get you patched up. Your head injury is the most concerning, and I've requested that Dumbledore allow you to take a few days off to rest following this incident."

"Please, I really need to talk to him about what I said. I really can't have him telling his brother about my silly comments in that state. I was just not myself, and I don't want him to make things awkward with George," You pleaded.

Sighing, she shook her head and admitted, "I wish I could let you do that, but I fear that that could be incredibly dangerous in your current state. You shouldn't move much. I'll send one of my assistants to get him though. Which house is he in?"

"He's in Gryffindor. His name is Fred Weasley," You explained with a grateful smile. You added, "I really appreciate this, Madame Pomfrey."

She gave you a small grin before hurrying off to send one of her assistants to get Fred. As you waited for him to come, you fidgeted in your hospital bed and wrung your hands. When he did arrive a little bit later, you tensed up completely. You looked at his eyes and confirmed that it was Fred from the way his eyes were slightly larger and rounder than his brother's, checking for Fred's slight scar in his left eyebrow. He came over with his eyebrows furrowed together and questioned, "What's wrong? The assistant said that Pomfrey told her it was urgent?"

Giggling at that, you swallowed, "Well, it's not an emergency. I did want to thank you for all of your help last night. I actually recall very little of what happened after the party, but pieces are coming back slowly. Madame Pomfrey also helped me remember a couple things I had forgotten. I wanted to talk to you to thank you for your help of course, but then also to mention, um, some of the things I've recalled saying last night now about George. I wanted to say that I know that you love pranks and mischief, and I love that about you both, but I also really don't want you to mention what I said about George to him. I was not myself because of what they put in my drink and all, so I just wanted to ask that you would not tell him and make things awkward when it wasn't even me talking, you know?"

You sucked in a breath once you finished and squirmed in your seat, uncomfortable with each second that passed by without Fred saying a word. He tapped your shoulder and told you, "I won't tell him what you said last night."

You breathed a sigh of relief before holding your pinky up in between the two of you. With round eyes and eyebrows drawn together, you mumbled, "Pinky promise on it?"

Eyes twinkling, he chuckled before holding his pinky out and wrapping it around yours. He shook his head as he pulled back and retorted, "You don't need to feel so nervous about it, Y/N. I mean, it was just the drugs talking right? Nothing to be embarrassed about then."

You breathed out a chuckle and nodded.

Fred gave you a careful hug before he promised to tell the others that you were awake and alright before he left the hospital wing again. You felt relieved after the conversation, carefully closing your eyes again as you stopped fighting your exhaustion.

-

As you drifted off to sleep, you were unaware of what was happening just outside the hospital wing doors. George was waiting there for Fred with a curious expression. He trailed, "So?"

Fred smirked at his twin and announced, "She has no idea that it wasn't me."

George smiled mischievously and confirmed, "And you didn't correct her?"

Fred shook his head and laughed, "No... She said it was the drugs talking, but I don't buy it."

George smirked, "Fred, I think we have a little mystery to solve."

"You're right, George, I think we do."