ch 24 : cookies

The next morning, you were sleeping in late when Hannah came in squealing from breakfast, jarring you from your sleep. You sat up with your wand in hand and eyes still closed while you loudly mumbled, "What's going on?"

You heard giggling all around you as you slowly blinked your eyes open. You saw Susan and Megan perched on their beds while Hannah was essentially running in place with excitement. Your hazy vision fell on the red rose in her hand, and you instantly realized what had happened.

Grinning at her and slowly sinking back down in your bed, you wondered, "Does this mean that a certain someone asked you to the ball?"

She squealed and nodded her head before diving onto your bed. She landed harshly on your legs, which made you groan. The other girls giggled, and soon, all four of you were in your bed. Hannah was telling the story of how he asked her, and she couldn't stop beaming the entire time.

You squeezed her hand comfortingly before your eyes drifted shut again. Susan hit your head with a pillow and groaned, "Get up! You need to get ready for class!"

Megan chuckled, "We grabbed you a muffin since you whined whenever we tried to wake you for breakfast."

Shaking your arm wildly, Hannah laughed, "You don't want to be late for class!"

Groaning, you rolled over in your bed and stumbled to the dresser. You grabbed your clothes and changed into them and pulled on your robes. The girls handed you the muffin, and you ate it on the way to class, not enjoying the way the mint of your toothpaste made the muffin taste that morning.

When you got to your first class that day, you heard everyone whispering about how Fred Weasley asked Angelina Johnson to the ball earlier that morning. Many of the students were giggling about how cute the couple was, and you agreed. You were glad Fred was going to have a date as pretty and as kind as Angelina.

That day, after your classes finished, you were walking back to the Hufflepuff dorms when someone dragged you into a nearby classroom. You couldn't tell who it was since they were pulling you backwards by your shoulders, but from the smiles you got from nearby classmates, you knew you weren't in danger. Once you got inside the room and were allowed to catch your footing once again, you turned around, and your breath caught in your throat.

There were candles all about the room that smelled like cookies, vanilla, and other sweet things. The lights were off, and the dozens of candles lit the room in a hazy glow. You let your eyes wander to your captor, and your breath caught in your throat once more. George stood in front of you with a bouquet of sunflowers. He was just in a T-shirt and jeans, but he might as well have been in a tailored suit to you. He looked amazing.

You stammered, "George?" Your eyebrows raised as you looked around at everything, but your eyes drifted back to him. You wondered, "What is all this?"

He took a few steps towards you and murmured, "This is all for you, Y/N. You deserve even more actually."

You blinked and exhaled, "What?" You looked around the room, the pieces coming together as you couldn't contain your smile.

George stepped up to you and handed you the sunflowers. You took them and immediately smelled them, smiling into the flowers.

George took your other hand and bit his lip for a moment before he met your eyes and wondered, "Y/N, will you be my date to the Yule Ball? I know that you may not want to because there are so many other guys who are better-"