ch 48 : that wasn't your word to bear

You peeled off into the first bathroom you saw to wash up your hand. You had barely made it through the threshold when you finally let your guard down and began to cry. You stumbled to the sink and turned on the cold water to rinse away the blood. When the cold stung your wounds, you gasped amidst the tears.

Fred and George had followed you into the bathroom. Fred stood watch at the door while George tried his best to comfort you, his heart broken at the sight of you.

George gently cleaned your wounds with some warmer water as you tried to calm yourself down. After holding in the pain for so long, your chest hurt with the ejection of your emotions.

After George had cleared away much of the blood, he pulled you into his arms where you slowly calmed down, rubbing circles into your shoulder with just the tips of his fingers as if he was scared to hurt you further. The trio entered the bathroom soon after, and Harry immediately crossed the room to check on you as he cried, "I never should have had you join. I'm so sorry. This is all my fault. She won't get away with this. I'll tell Sirius and Thelma, and they'll know what to do. I'm so sorry."

You were no longer crying at that point but just sadly smiled at your brother from the safety of George's arms. You promised, "I'm okay. Really, Harry, I am. I'm alright. Don't worry about me."

Harry began pacing for a moment before he stormed from the room. Hermione hesitantly stepped up to you and asked, "Can I see your hand?"

You stuck out your wounded hand. Hermione performed the episkey spell to heal the wound as much as she could. Since the spell slightly hurt, your good hand had a death grip on George's.

Ron hovered near the door with Fred and stared at his feet sadly.

After healing your wound as much as possible, Hermione held you in a silent hug for a few moments. When she pulled away, she and Ron fled the room to go find Harry since they didn't want him to make any irrational decisions.

You looked down to see George's wounds at that point, tilting your head to the side at the faint outline of the letters you found there.

Rotten.

You pointed to his hand and whispered, "That wasn't your word to bear, George."

"And it shouldn't have been yours either," George whispered and held onto your tired frame.

You meekly nodded before biting your cheek and sighing, "Can we go check on Michael? I'm worried about him."

Fred and George agreed and the three of you quickly found the crying boy in an empty corridor. You and Fred sat on either side of him while George stood beside you to keep his hand on your back. He didn't want you to forget that he was there beside you for even a moment.

As the three of you comforted the frightened boy, suddenly Umbridge appeared at the end of the hall. She smirked, "Children deserve to be punished."

Fred and George immediately stood to shield you and Michael from Umbridge's view. Harry unexpectedly stepped around them too as he stared down Umbridge. The cruel woman's heels clicked on the floor as she left the corridor moments later.

You just kept rubbing circles into Michael's back to comfort the scared boy.

Fred broke the silence by remarking, "You know, George, I've always felt our futures lay outside the world of academic achievement."

In an equally conspiratorial tone, George agreed, "Fred, I've been thinking exactly the same thing."

A small smile fell on your face once again when George looked to you with mischief and revenge dancing in his eyes.