ch 26 : fire protection

You and George had been dating ever since the Yule Ball. He had officially asked you to be his girlfriend a week later by making a bunch of the first year Gryffindors surround you and drag you out to the courtyard where he had written the question in the snow. You couldn't actually read it, despite how much you squinted and struggled to do so, and he eventually just had to tell you what it said, chuckling the entire time.

You had quite obviously said yes, and the two of you were practically inseparable since.

While you were walking to dinner one dreary day in February after a long night of studying and no time with George, you spotted him hanging off the edge of the corridor. You slipped away from the crowd when you made eye contact with him, and George intertwined your fingers once you reached him. He led you down the empty corridor with a wide grin.

You tugged him closer to the wall once you got further away from everyone, and you beamed up at him. He cupped your cheeks and gently placed his lips on yours, and his sweet kiss made you want to melt. You had lifted your hands and gripped his shoulders as you kissed him back. Unfortunately, the kiss was cut short when someone hit George on the back of the head with a book.

George had yelped in surprise and whipped around to find Professor Snape scowling at the two of you in disgust. Snape enunciated, "Miss Potter, is this boy bothering you?"

You silently shook your head as you stared at your slightly frightening professor. He clucked his tongue before threatening, "I better not see such inappropriate displays in my corridors again, Mr. Weasley and Miss Potter. Get to dinner. Now."

You wrapped your hand around his and sped down the corridor, hoping to get away from Professor Snape as soon as possible. Once you made it back into the crowd of students, George whispered in your ear in a voice mimicking Snape's, "Miss Potter, is this boy harassing you?"

You shoved against him and laughed, "I should have said yes."

Glancing at the corridor they had just left, he chuckled, "If you had, I think Snape would have absolutely obliterated me."

You pulled him closer and promised, "I would never let him do that... Because I'd do it myself if you were truly harassing me."

As you reached the doors of the Great Hall, George huffed, "Oh, really, Potter? You think you could take me on?"

You mischievously grinned at him. You walked backwards away from him as you called, "Absolutely!" You giggled when he narrowed his eyes at you, but he couldn't say anything more as you plopped down at the Hufflepuff table between Susan and Cedric.

Putting her hand on her chin, Susan gushed, "You two are absolutely adorable."

Cedric piped up, "You do seem to be a good match. He seems to make you quite happy, and I reckon that you're a good influence on that troublemaker."

While stuffing your mouth with mashed potatoes, you nodded in complete agreement with Cedric's comment. After you swallowed your mouthful, you replied, "Yes. George does make me quite happy. He's great at making me laugh when I get stressed out about all of these potions assignments."

Megan groaned, "Tell me about it. Is Professor Snape mental? How does he expect us to finish all of these assignments?"

Rubbing her temples, Hannah huffed, "I heard from some fifth years that we are doing way more work than they did last year."

Cedric nodded while shoveling food into his mouth. He mumbled around his mouthful, "Yeah, you lot have got it much worse than I had it, but he's increased our workload as well. Rumor is that he is trying to drive apart all the new couples that have formed since the ball. That man truly doesn't want anyone else to be happy."

Hannah and Megan rolled their eyes in sync while you just chuckled at the thought. You could believe it. Professor Snape had seemed to be in a permanently sour mood for your entire time at Hogwarts thus far.

The only exception you could think of was when you once brewed a perfect Fire Protection potion in your second year. Professor Snape had come to check your potion, and his eyebrow lifted slightly as he whispered, "Perfect."

Professor Snape had looked at you suspiciously before he marched to the front of the room and announced, "All of you should take notes from Miss Potter, who has brewed a successful Fire Protection potion." He had scowled at the Slytherins in the room before he added, "Five points to Hufflepuff."

As you pondered this, your eyes drifted over to the professors' table, and you blinked a few times when you saw that Professor Snape was staring at you with an eyebrow raised and a curious expression. You immediately looked away and put a spoonful of mashed potatoes into your mouth while your eyes widened.

He couldn't possibly have heard what you were saying from all the way over there, right? Why would he have been looking at you at all?

You whispered to Susan without looking in her direction, "Is Snape still looking this way?"

"No. He was looking over here?" Susan whispered back as she set her fork down beside her plate.

You exhaled slowly as you nodded. You glanced over at their table again, frowning when you saw Professor Snape get up from his seat and leave the Great Hall in a rush. You just hoped he hadn't heard your group talking about him. Professor Snape didn't seem to be a forgiving man, and you figured he wouldn't have liked to hear you complain about his class.

You glanced over at the Gryffindor table and focused your gaze on the sight of George laughing at something Fred had said. You felt your heart rate slow down as your worries about Professor Snape were shoved to the back of your mind.

 You felt your heart rate slow down as your worries about Professor Snape were shoved to the back of your mind