ch 61 : the girl who grinned

You felt all the breath leave your body, and you leaned against George for support.

Harry was gone. He was lying dead in Hagrid's arms, and you couldn't breathe. How didn't you know this was happening? Your twin, your other half, was gone, and you didn't have a clue until it was too late.

George was whispering things to you to try to help calm you down, but you were frozen as your body seemed to stop functioning. You couldn't remember how to breathe or stand on your own legs, and George's words just drifted past you, unable to do anything but feel the overwhelming weight of your grief.

As you heard your own rasping breaths scraping through your chest, you stared at Harry's lifeless form and felt as if Voldemort had ripped your own heart out instead.

Maybe that's why it felt as if you were drawing your last breaths too.

Harry was the last remnant of the family you were supposed to have, and now, even that had been stolen from you. You felt utterly alone in your grief, despite the knowledge of how many people loved both you and Harry.

George ran his fingers through your hair and sighed, "Y/N, listen to me. I'm here. I'm by your side. We'll get through this."

You just absently nodded at his words, trying to believe them. You had George still, and Thelma and Sirius, and Susan, and Fred, Ron, and Hermione. You tried to remind yourself of this in those awful moments.

You hadn't lost everything.

Voldemort taunted the group while you tried to remember how to breathe, and slowly, you did. Voldemort then asked Draco to join him, and something snapped inside you.

Breaking from George's arms, you pushed through the crowd to get to Draco. When you reached him and saw the uncertainty on his face, you gripped his hand and declared, "You have a choice, Draco. You still have a place here. You don't have to do this."

Draco looked down at you, his Adam's apple bobbing in his throat. He squeezed your hand back and nodded, standing firm in his place, even after his parents called for him.

George shifted up beside you and intertwined your fingers. You looked up at him when he approached, and he gave you a proud smile. Your heart fluttered at his support.

You then looked at Voldemort and snarled, "You may have taken my brother, but you have not won. We are not finished."

Voldemort looked around at the fellow death eaters with a look of mocking surprise as he cackled, "What a foolish girl you are. You're just like your mother, and look where she is now... There you will be too with your mother, father, and pitiful brother."

He rose his arm and pointed the elder wand at you. You immediately dropped both boys' hands and raised your own wand. In a moment of panic, you disarmed him with a flick of your wand and a single word.

"Expelliarmus!"

When his wand clattered on the ground dozens of steps away, Harry popped out of Hagrid's arms and landed on his feet. Draco noticed first and threw Harry his wand while yelling, "Potter!"

Harry caught the wand and turned, pointing it at Voldemort. Harry growled, "Don't ever talk to my sister like that." With that, Harry began chasing Voldemort. Neville pulled the sword of Gryffindor out of the sorting hat as chaos ensued.

This time, you sprinted to join your brother's side as you both screamed curses at Voldemort. A death eater had returned the elder wand to Voldemort in the chaos, but it was no matter. Voldemort was quickly losing ground as he faced the furious Potter twins.

Neville destroyed Nagini with the Sword of Gryffindor amidst all the commotion, and Harry taunted, "Now it's just you and us, Voldemort. The prophecy says that you and I cannot survive while the other lives, and fortunately, I'm The Boy Who Lived."

Voldemort sneered at Harry before you hit Voldemort with a jinx that made his legs start to become stiff. His eyes shifted between the two of you, showing fear as he realized his doom was coming.

In a frantic effort, he tried to use the killing curse at the same time that Harry screamed, "Expelliarmus!"

You dove to the ground as their spells collided with the sound of a canon, the two spells locking in Priori Incantatem. The pure power of their two spells collided and sparked between them.

You held your breath until the elder wand flipped and flew into Harry's hand. The killing curse reversed, striking Voldemort as his crumpled form sank to the ground. His eyes switched between the two Potter twins he should have killed a long time ago as he took his last breaths.

When Voldemort lost his last and final life, you smiled at his defeat.

It was over. You had won.

Fellow students pulled you to your feet with cheers. You didn't try to fight your large grin. You hugged everyone you saw, beaming all the while.

Everyone viewed you differently from then on; no one saw you as just a weak Hufflepuff girl anymore.

After that day, you were no longer called The Girl Who Hid. You were known as The Girl Who Grinned, one of the most powerful witches in history.

 You were known as The Girl Who Grinned, one of the most powerful witches in history