ch 59 : you seem stronger

Time had seemed to pass by slowly as you and Hermione recovered from your short stay at Malfoy Manor. Your group found Bill Weasley and stayed with him to recover during this time. While staying there, he asked you a lot of questions that you didn't have the energy to answer. You would just give him fleeting smiles before leaving the room or rolling over in your bed again.

Your torture at Malfoy Manor was not something you were ready to discuss yet, and you only occasionally spoke to Hermione about what happened since Hermione was there too.

Harry seemed frustrated that you didn't want to open up to him about it, but it was hard to discuss what had happened, and for a number of days after it, you just felt exhausted inside and out.

Apparently, Hermione just sat in her room and read constantly during this time, but you just wanted to sleep.

Neither of you were up to much talking, and this was what made Bill suspicious. He had never seen the two of you so quiet and sullen before, and Harry and Ron's refusal to answer his questions proved to him further that something terrible must have happened.

You and Hermione eventually did recover, slowly coming back to your normal selves. Hermione began conspiring with the boys again while you tried to be the light of the group once more, smiling occasionally and even cracking a joke or two.

Harry and Ron were so relieved to see you joking around again that they had happily laughed at all of your jokes. Seeing you able to find some happiness again made them feel more hopeful themselves, which spurred the group on as you began your search for the next horcrux.

Before long, your search led you to Hogsmeade. You had found Helga Hufflepuff's cup, which you felt bad about destroying, and now you were searching for another Horcrux and hoping another lead would come up. The four of you were slinking down the alleyways and trying to not attract any attention when a man who reminded you of Dumbledore stepped into the alley to greet the four of you. He hurried you all inside and explained that he was Dumbledore's brother, Aberforth Dumbledore.

He showed you a secret passage to Hogwarts where you now believed lied the next Horcrux. Neville appeared in the opening, and you immediately wrapped him up in a hug. He seemed shocked at the gesture, and you wondered how long it had been since the boy was hugged by anyone. He beamed at you before addressing the group, "It's good to see you lot again. Everyone will be excited to see you."

The four of you followed Neville back to Hogwarts into the Room of Requirement. Everyone cheered at your arrival, but you immediately found Susan among the familiar faces. You ran to one another and crushed each other in a tight embrace. You breathed into her hair, "I'm so glad you're okay."

"I was so scared for you," Susan whispered as she gripped you even tighter.

You eventually pulled away while you sighed, "I was scared for me too."

Susan smiled at you tiredly and murmured, "You look like you've aged a lot since I've seen you last year."

You mockingly gaped at your best friend before you faintly laughed, "I guess I have aged a lot since last year... I don't feel like the same person I used to be anymore."

"You seem even stronger, if that was possible," Susan asserted as she put a hand on your arm with a comforting smile.

You softly smiled and mumbled your thanks. You looked back to the group as Ginny entered the room and saw Harry. You smiled at their reunion, but your heart panged for your person. You missed your idiot. You missed laughing at all of his corny jokes and feeling horrified at their sometimes-cruel prank ideas. You missed being wrapped up in his arms. You missed the feeling of safety and warmth when concealed in his embrace.