ch 60 : he didn't even say goodbye

It was eerily silent, and all you heard were gut-wrenching sobs that sounded far away. You swore you heard someone sobbing, "Percy, what am I supposed to do? I lost both of them. I can't...I can't survive this..."

Everything felt hazy and distant, and there was an odd ringing in your ear. You couldn't make sense of what you were hearing and feeling. What just happened?

You opened your eyes and found that a hazy blue bubble had formed around Fred and yourself. You were sitting on the floor, slumped against Fred's shoulder who was sitting beside you with his eyes still closed. You blinked slowly and realized that there was a bright light shining below your eyes.

You looked down to see that your locket from Sirius was glowing a bright blue. His words echoed in your mind: "Keep it close to your heart always, and it will protect you in your most dire moments."

Fred stirred from beside you. You looked over at him to find him staring at you with wide eyes hidden underneath his soot-coated face. You were certain you looked the same. He gulped, "Are we dead?"

You shook your head at him and scanned your surroundings. You murmured, "I don't think so."

Fred pinched his arm and yelped quietly when it hurt. You stepped forward and wondered, "Is that...rubble?"

The ginger-haired boy began to examine that space outside the blue bubble as well. He nodded and confirmed, "It is rubble. We're surrounded by it. I think the wall blew up next to us."

"But my locket protected us," You vocalized.

Your discoveries came to a halt as retching sobs from somewhere outside the dome of debris became even louder. You and Fred made panicked eye contact as you both recognized the sobs' owner.

You screamed, "George! George! Can you hear me?"

Neither George nor Percy seemed to hear you as Percy panicked, trying to figure out how to comfort his younger brother amidst his own grief.

You and Fred both began screaming louder at George's horrible cries, tears gathering in your own eyes to hear George so broken. Your voice cracked as you called for George, hoping someone would hear you and realize that you were alive.

You kept screaming for George and Percy until Percy questioned, "Do you hear that? I swear I just heard something from inside there."

George began frantically yelling, "Fred! Y/N! Can you hear me?"

You both screamed out the affirmative as you tried to move as close to his voice as possible.

Percy promised, "We'll get you two out of there, just a minute."

As you and Fred were waiting to be unburied, you heard Thelma frantically demand, "What happened? ...My God, where is Y/N?" Her voice cracked at the end as she took in the destruction in the room and the tears still streaming down George's face.

George and Percy quickly recruited her to help, and you nearly cried when light began to break through. You cheered, "I see light! You're close!"

It took only a few more minutes before the three of them had moved away the last of the debris, all of them in tears once it had been cleared away enough to see you and Fred standing inside your bubble of protection.

As the last chunk of the wall was shoved away, the necklace stopped glowing and the shield dropped.

George jumped into your circle then and crushed the two of you into a hug as he cried about how scared he had been. You kept apologizing for how badly shaken he was, but he wouldn't let you apologize for it. He was so glad you were both okay.