30: The Termination of Relationship

I walked into the apartment with the papers Jordan had given me, clenched tightly in my hands. I looked around the room and everything seemed to hit me all at once - almost like being hit by brick wall in motion. I walked around the room remembering when we moved in – lunging the couch awkwardly up the stairs and collapsing on it when we had finally got it to our platform, the pictures of us happy and smiling hanging from the walls, the bedroom that so every often looked like a war-zone where we laid our heads at night, where we talked about our days and where, we once, made love. This was our house, where we made a home and now, now it's nothing but a cold dark space without any life. The walls were dull, the colour seemed to have left them in the last few hours, and cold - god was it cold. It was hard to see my home like this, the place I had fallen in love with when I first saw it was now nothing but a sad reminder, one I couldn't stand to be in for much longer.

Slowly, I walked over to the bench and placed the note I had wrote days ago and the papers Jordan had told me held the agreement to split the mortgage along with his two weeks notice explaining Broody had been let go, down on the cold marble. I turned around and headed for the bedroom. I pulled out my bags from under the bed and started packing up my life; it was amazing how your entire life could fit into just one suitcase and a backpack. Once everything  I wanted to keep - which was barley even all my clothes - was packed up I opened the door to the moving men who had been hired to take everything out of the house and sell it.

I watched them pack everything up while I just leaned against the wall. Time seemed fly by as they moved quickly and purposefully through the small one bed room house, taking what was once apart of me and removing it from view. This broke my heart just as much as Broody had. Once everything was packed up and everyone left the apartment I pulled the bucket of water out of the empty fridge and added in some ice blocks for the ultimate effect, before lugging it over to the door way. This was it, the last thing on my list. The door opened before I had a chance to do anymore then pull out the string from my bag.

Jordan walked into the room, his eyes looking around at the empty space with his hands in his pockets. "Need a little help with that?"

I smiled and walked up to him, throwing my arms around his neck and hugging him tightly. Jordan's arms came around my waist as he hugged me back just as tightly, his head buried in my neck. "Thank you, for everything." I whispered near his ear.

"It's been a pleasure, Ms Sears."

I pulled back and turned my attention to the bucket of water. "Give me a hand, will you?"

Jordan nodded as came over to stand beside the bucket of water and basically shoved me out of the way before pulling the bucket of water up and sitting it on the door frame and the slightly opened apartment door.

"Now tie this to from the handle of the bucket and the door handle." I told him in a soft tone and hit him with the small ball of string.

"Why? When he opens the door it's going to fall anyway." He rationalised with me.

"Oh right." I thought about it for a moment. I suppose it would, then why the hell would people tie a string to it?

We backed away from the door and I picked up the bags. "How do we get out, now?"  Jordan said narrowing his eyes at the door. I smiled and walked over to him, standing on my toes and grabbing his shoulders, turning him around to face the window. "I am not jumping out of a window."

I rolled my eyes and dragged him along with my bags over to the window and out to the fire escape.

"So we're not jumping, that's good. If I tear my suit climbing down this thing you owe me a new one." He muttered as he held my hand, steading me as I started to climb down to the next level. Jordan passed me my bags before descending himself.