10. My Lady

Draco Malfoy:

We must have fallen asleep after our talk. She was still here. With me. She didn't leave. She knows what I am, but she stayed regardless. She was still asleep with her head on my chest. I could feel her hair against my face. I took a deep breath. I really breathed the same air as Rebecca Sullivan. I'm not sure if I'm worthy. She moved a little, a kept still. Trying not to wake her. It made me calm seeing her sleep so peacefully. I smiled. She really is something else.

The regret started to wash over me. How am I going to protect her? I need to keep her a secret. No one can know about us. Well, Sam, Blaise and Carlin knew for sure but no one else. We need to stick together. We need to make it through this.

I looked at her innocent face and my stomach turned inside-out. I love you Rebecca Sullivan but are you aware of who you love?

She opened her eyes and blinked a couple of times in an attempt to wake up. She smiled when she turned her head to me. I felt guilty. I should have let her go when I had the chance. Before all this.

She looked me deeply in the eyes, looking concerned. She shouldn't have to worry about me. She shouldn't have to worry about anything, really.

"What's wrong, Draco?" She said and sighed.

"I'm scared..." I answered, I really was scared.

She wrapped herself around me even harder.

"Me too," she said quietly.

My stomach was in pain now. It felt like I was about to vomit. What's happening to me?

"Please, don't be scared Bex, I will protect you. At all costs. I will never let anything happen to you," I said and tried to act calm.

"No Draco, I am not scared that something will happen to me, I'm scared that something will happen to you," she said while looking deeply into my eyes.

I don't think anyone has been scared for me?  Scared of me, well yeah, obviously. I didn't recognize this feeling. I've never felt like this before. But I felt bad for her. I dragged her into this, I need to fix this.

"You know I always loved you, Draco. Since the third year, actually," she said as she was playing with her fingers on my chest. I was surprised.

"You have? I've been treating you like shit for all these years and you loved me?"

"Well, I've been angry, sad, happy and I've been just hopelessly devoted to you," she said still with her fingers going over my chest as if she was nervous.

I smiled.

She felt silly for telling me this, but really, I thought it was cute. I was flattered actually.

"You know I have teased you because I've been too scared to get close to you. I always had an eye for you but you made me feel different than the other girls. Which scared me. It made it possible for me to keep my distance, " I said, it was the first time I actually opened up about my behaviour like this. I mean it was the truth, sort of. I wasn't just scared of getting close, I was scared that I would destroy her, destroy that poor innocent girl.

She was smiling, "Draco, it is not nice playing with a girl's heart like that. It was like I was trying to forget you because I thought I couldn't have you, when I was just about to get over you, you came back, telling me I was beautiful or some other stupid thing, and I was melting again. Back at square one. At last, I gave up. I just accepted the fact that I would never get over you."

I never thought of it that way, I've already hurt her. I didn't mean to but I have. I thought I was protecting her this whole time, making her smile a couple of days when giving her compliments but I never thought she actually had feelings for me. I felt bad.