45. Rivals

Draco Malfoy

I tried to keep myself occupied, I kept my face turned towards Carlin, ignoring the strong will to keep staring at the door. The waiting wasn't even the worse, it was the not knowing. Not knowing whether she would've changed her mind as she got back or not. 

Carlin kept talking, talking about the ministry, talking about what they'd done while I was gone and kept rambling about how he wondered where I was, how I was and whether I would come back or not. 

I tried to listen, I really did, but every bone in my body wanted to run, run out, run after Rebecca. I felt alone as soon as she left, the feeling of being alone was too much. I felt alone all this time, getting used to the feeling, learning to live with it, but now when I had her again, it was unbearable, back to square one.

I tried to wipe my sweaty palms off on my trousers, I didn't want Carlin to see how stressed I really was. I didn't want him to notice how the anxiety affected me, how the anxiety came as soon as she left, how dependent I was on her.

He must've noticed something, I couldn't hide it that well. I could feel my jaw clench, my eyes hardening, and my energy becoming lower and lower. The panic was creeping up on me, I can't let myself lose it now, I need to stay calm, act calm at least. 

The last thing I need is for them to be worried about me, I'm fine. I'm fine, I kept telling myself. 

"You look oddly pale, even for you, are you feeling OK?" Carlin asked worryingly.

Fuck

"I'm fine," I said, trying to sound convincing, even forcing a smile.

I looked around the room, I needed to find something, something to look at, something that would keep my mind distracted. I knew she'd come back, she wouldn't be gone forever, she'll be back

Being away from her for six years had been tough, more than tough, it'd almost been impossible. I kept myself distracted for six years, now it's only been one hour. I can do this. 

I grabbed the table, trying to be careful, but I failed, the whole table moved as my hand collided with the edge. 

"Sorry," I said, shaking my head, trying to shake the panic out of me. 

"What's wrong?" Carlin asked, trying to meet my eyes. 

"Nothing, I'm just tired," I lied. 

I needed to get out, I couldn't stay here and wait anymore. It felt like I was losing her, again. I had to fight this time, I promised her not to leave again. And I wouldn't. 

Just as I was about to open my mouth to tell Carlin that I needed to leave, I could hear something at the door, someone was coming in.

I immediately stood up from my chair and walked almost automatically towards the door and there she was, she was back. 

Her hair falling over her shoulders in big bouncy curls, her face was different, more relaxed than before, I could almost spot a smile. She looked happier. The only problem was that she wasn't alone. He was there too, Enzo. I recognized him from the pub where I met them before. 

I kept staring at him, trying to read him. Was he happy too? The smug smirk on his face provoked me, I wanted to see him sad, or to be honest, I didn't want to see him at all. 

"Draco, this is Enzo," I heard Rebecca's soft voice say.

"I know," I mumbled, still staring at him.

"We didn't get to say hello properly last time, I'm Lorenzo St. John," Enzo said as he held out his hand.

I scoffed and shook my head, I refuse to shake his hand.