Prolouge

"KATIE!" Kara screamed down the phone at me.

"Calm down Kara, what's up?" I said softly as I walked to class.

"You know how I was telling you about that I may be replaced for the Broadway run of Newsies? Well I didn't! I got it! I'm still Katherine! I'm going to Broadway."

"Oh my gosh. Kara! That's amazing! I'm so proud of you sis. Can I come over tonight to give you a proper congratulations, I'm about to head into a class.

"Sure sis. Come over for dinner and we can celebrate." I smiled so widely. Broadway was my sisters dream, and it was now coming true.

"Okay. I'll see you just before 6. I love you big K."

"I love you too Little K. Have a good class." She said hanging up. I walked into my session, it was my last class on the week and I couldn't wait for it to be over because I was too excited to go squeeze my sister. The class seemed to drag on and on and on but eventually I was allowed to leave and I rushed home, showered and changed as I was sweaty from dancing and then got the subway to my sisters apartment that she shared with her fiancé. I opened the door and headed in, Kara had given me a key as I spent so much time there.

"KARA!" I squealed and ran and hugged her. "I'm so proud of you. This is it. You're going to be on Broadway."

"Yeah!!" She smiled. "I'm still in shock. You can't tell anyone though. I'm not even meant to have told you yet. Only you and Kevin know. I haven't told mom or dad yet."

"Okay." I whispered into her ear. "Our secret. Is Jeremy still playing Jack?"

"Yeah he is. But because he has these other commitments coming up he's only doing the first few months of the run, and then this new guy is taking over, but the new person is his alternate from the start."

"Oh great. Another guy I have to see you kiss then." I sighed. "I know it's just a stage kiss and it means nothing, but I hate watching you kiss other people beside Kevin. I know how much you two love one another, and how much you mean to him, and so seeing you kiss someone other than your fiancé makes me feel queezy inside." I said softly.

"I know sis, I don't enjoy it. But that's what you have to do in the business. You know that. And advantage of being with an actor is that it's the same the other way, I have to kiss other guys onstage, he has to kiss other girls onstage. And we just make sure to share a kiss as soon as we see each other afterwards." Kara smiled gently and sat beside me, wrapping her arm around my shoulders. "Just don't think about it sis. Let's focus on the positives. How have classes been this last week?"

"Good I guess, same as usual. Although over Christmas we have to shadow someone in the industry. And I'm too socially awkward to reach out to anyone."

"Katie!" Kevin said loudly to me. "Your sister is about to start rehearsals for a broadway show, I'm sure you can shadow her right. You were around so much during the paper mill run they all know you anyway."

"He has a point there little one. Do you want me to ask the team if you're allowed to come watch and 'shadow' me? I'm sure they'd love to have you."

"That would be amazing. I'd have so much I can write about for my final report."

"See what are big sisters for." She smiled, kissing my forehead.

"Thanks Kara. You're the best. And I'm the luckiest to have you as my big sister." I smiled as Kara chuckled.

"And I'm the luckiest to have you as my baby sister."

"Hey!" I complained. "I'm only 5 years younger than you." I said crossing my arms. "You're 26, I'm 21."

"I know you are Katie. But you'll always be my baby sister in my eyes." Kara held me close. "Plus you're basically a mini me. You do theatre too, you have the same passions and dreams as me and I think that's something a lot of siblings don't have. They don't have that special bond over their dreams." I nodded against her chest. "And as you know, I've always been there to look after you. We did dance growing up and you were so good you were always in the age category above you, so I was there with you. I felt a responsibility to look after you during those lessons, and well, I still feel the responsibility to look after you now. You're young, in New York City, probably one of the most dangerous city's in the states, especially for young women. I want to look after you as you enter this industry head on."

"Thanks Kara." I said softly as I hugged her. "Knowing you're always just round the corner always makes me feel better. And knowing I have someone who is close to me makes me feel safe because I know if I find myself in a sticky situation I can always come here and you'll help me." Kara nodded softly.

"You're always welcome here Katie. Always." I hugged her tightly and rested my head on her shoulder. I didn't want to let go. I felt my sister rub my back which caused me to cry a little. "Hey Katie. There's no need to cry sweetheart. I've got you, and you're safe here. What's up?"

"Nothing." I lied. "I just love you so much. You're an amazing big sister and I wouldn't be the person I am today without you being my constant guidance. Every show I've done, no matter how big or small, you've been there to watch. Even if no one else could come, I could count on you, always. You even came to all my high school productions even when you were away in Pittsburg for college."

"Because you're my sister, and I wouldn't want to miss out on watching you grow as a performer. High school productions were important to you kickstarting your career, and you always had main roles so I wanted to see that and support you where I could. And with your collage shows, you're in the same city as me now. It's easy for me to come where it's too far for mom and dad to travel for a smaller show, but remember each of your large shows they've still come. Just like they did for me."

"I know." I smiled. "And I'm grateful that they have come to what they have, a lot of my class are from much further away so their family can't come quite so easily. But I'm very lucky to have you." I smiled. Kara and I then made dinner together and spend the evening having a girls movie night as Kevin had work to do in his office.