32 - Kara's Last Show

I sat in Corey's dressing room, in his lap, crying softly into his shoulder. He rubbed my back in his sweet attempts to comfort me. "Angel. It's going to be okay." He said softly. "I know it's hard. But think about it, from now on you are Katherine. Not just an alternate."

"But she's my sister. I don't want to see her leave. You know how much she means to me, and also this role that we get to share. I wouldn't be here without her. I wouldn't have met you if she wasn't part of newsies. I wouldn't have been cast had she not been on vocal rest that day. I owe my entire career to her. She essentially gave me my broadway debut." I sobbed. "I'm going to miss her not being here for me."

"She will always be here for you. I know she will. You'll still see her all the time and we can invite her and Kevin over for dinner more often. I know how close you girls are Katie, and the relationship you two have is so special. And think of this as a positive, she's moving on to do even bigger and better things, you know that." Just then there was a knock on the door. "Come in." Kara poked her head in and the moment she saw me crying she rushed over and crouched down.

"Katie, sis, what's up?" She said placing a hand on my back.

"I don't want you to leave. You're my sister and I don't think I can do this without you Kara. I only got this show because of you."

"Hey. You deserved it though. Yeah, being my sister, and being at rehearsals helped you get noticed. But your talent is what got you the role. And I promise that you will shine out there every night. Yeah, 8 shows a week is tiring and tough, but I know you can do it. And you have Corey right here supporting you every step of the way. And you have Ben here too, and all our newsies brothers. Plus, we live down the road from each other. Yeah, we may not see each other every single day. But we will still spend a lot of time together, I promise. And I promise that I will always be there to support you. Kev and I are coming on Tuesday to see your first show as Katherine full time and I can't wait to watch you shine on that stage. I haven't seen you actually perform the whole show since your debut in September. I also can't wait to see you at the top of the playbill beside Corey rather than in the bottom corner."

"Okay." I said softly. I stood up and pulled Kara into a hug. "I love you. And you're the best sister in the whole wide world. And I wouldn't change you for anything. And thank you for coming to see me on Tuesday. I'll try to make you proud."

"I'm already so proud of you." She said kissing my forehead. "Now. I need to get ready. Want to come help me one last time? I also need to finish packing up my things from the dressing room and then you can add more of your own things."

"Sure. But can I keep the photos of us and our family up. I love them all so much and I don't want them to be gone."

"Of course. Now come on little one." I chuckled, kissed Corey's cheek and left with Kara. The room already felt more empty. I picked up a photo frame with 2 photos of Kara and I. One from their first preview, one from opening night.

"I can't believe it's been over a year now."

"Me neither. It's been an incredible journey."

"Yeah. I don't feel like I've said this enough recently, just because I've been so emotional with the thought of you leaving. But I'm so proud of you Kara. So endlessly proud of how far you've come."

"I'd have to say the same. You graduated less than a year ago and now look at you. One of broadways leading ladies."

"Same for you. Yes you did a few other smaller things before broadway. But that's because the right show for you hadn't come yet. And then newsies came and you were at Paper Mill, and then broadway! And now you're about to get married! Finally." I chuckled. "And then you're onto bigger and better things."

"Yeah. I'll be moving on. But I will never forget this experience. And I'll never forget those moments with you when you found out and when you joined the cast." I nodded and smiled as I put the frame down. Kara changed into her costume one last time and I smiled softly.

"I'm going to head out and see if there are any spare seats so I can watch your final show. I know Kev is in the audience but I'd love to be there too." I said softly.

"Okay. I'll see you after the show Katie."

"See you. Break a leg. You got this Kara." I hugged her tightly and then left. I went to Corey's room and gave him a hug and kiss as usual. "See you later love. I'm going to try and find a seat. This will be the last time I get to watch the show. Because from now on I'll be in it every night." I said softly.

"Yeah. I'll see you later. I love you Katie."

"I love you more." I smiled and kissed him softly before leaving. I was able to get a ticket and I went to my seat. I saw Kevin a few rows in front of me. "Kev!" I said in a normal voice. He turned and smiled.

"Katie! What are you doing?"

"There was a few spare tickets so i grabbed one. It's my last time I'll be able to watch the show."

"Very true. I'm excited to watch it tonight for Kara's last show and then really excited to watch it with Kara as you start your run as the full time Katherine. You're going to be amazing, just like her."

"Thanks Kev." We talked a bit more until there were too many people around so we then both sat in silence waiting. The show soon began and as usual I couldn't keep my eyes off Corey. I loved watching him play Jack. He was so perfect for the role and every moment he shared that stage with Kara I smiled, knowing from Tuesday onwards it would be me in her place. For the first time I even watched all their kisses. I actually smiled a little thinking of how every night I'd get paid to kiss my boyfriend. Once the show ended I was on my feet cheering. Kevin, who was in an aisle seat got up and went to hand Kara a bunch of flowers which caused her to cry. I smiled and snapped a few photos of the moment on my phone. They were so perfect together and I couldn't wait for their wedding in June. Kevin and I headed backstage and at first Kara went to Kevin for a hug and kiss and then came to me.

"She's all yours now." Kara said taking both my hands in hers. "Enjoy it. 8 shows a week is an incredible experience, and who knows who may see the show and want to cast you in something else." I nodded.

"Thank you for letting me share this role with you for the last 8 months. It's been the best and I'm so lucky to have had you there though everything. I owe this all to you."

"And your talent." Kara said hugging me. I nodded and just held her close. Soon enough Corey and I had to head home. While laying in bed I posted a photo to Instagram of Kara and I.

 While laying in bed I posted a photo to Instagram of Kara and I

*Tonight was Kara's last show. And I'm still so emotional about it. I love this throwback picture from the day I first got to try my Katherine wig on and Kara while getting ready for her show.

My sister is the reason I got this role. It was being at her rehearsal, singing for her because of vocal rest that the creatives invited me to audition and then cast me as her alternate and Understudy. I will now be taking over the role from her full time and I'm super excited, but also super sad to see her leave. But I know she's off to even bigger things. I'm endlessly proud of you Kara, I love you so much. Thank you for sharing this magical role with me.*