8 - My Birthday

February 19th

I woke up at Kara's as I always did on my birthday. It was 11am already and I smiled because I loved getting a lie in. I opened my phone to a text message from Corey.

'Happy Birthday Beautiful. I wish I could be with you today but I can't wait to see you in a few weeks. We're so close to the finish line and I know we can make it. C xx'

I smiled and sighed before texting him back.

'Thank you Corey. I wish you were here too but I can't wait to see you and I know it will be more special. Missing you loads xx'

I put my phone down and smiled. I quickly got ready for the day and headed downstairs. "Happy Birthday Katie!" Kara and Kevin both smiled. I gave them each a hug and saw a pile of blueberry pancakes, my favourite.

"Thank you both so much. I love getting to spend my birthday with the two of you. It's the best."

"You're welcome." Kevin smiled as he placed a candle on the pancakes and lit it. He did this every year and like always, I laughed. Kara filmed me as they both sang happy birthday and I blew out my candle. Kara then sent the video to our parents. We ate breakfast together and then Kara took me into the living room where there was a small pile of presents. As usual the three of us all sat on the floor and they watched me open my gifts. My birthday presents included gifts from my parents and my aunt and uncle as well as obviously several from Kevin and Kara. They always spoiled me with presents. I got a lot of clothes as usual, some nice makeup, and a few other bits and bobs.

"Thank you guys. You're the best."

"Okay. So we're heading to the theatre at 3 because I have a costume fitting and photo shoot and then heading out for dinner."

"Sounds good, it'll be nice to see all the boys on my birthday. I wish Corey could be here though. I miss him so much."

"I know you do sweetie. But you guys are doing amazingly with long distance. And it's only a few more weeks. Remember he's here for all of tech week."

"Yeah. I can't wait to see him again. I think it's been so hard because I've gone from seeing him all day every day, to not seeing him at all."

"I know sweetie." We hung out for a few hours before heading into the city. Kara lived further out from midtown so we had to get the subway in. Once we got to the theatre it seemed really empty. We were early, but not that early. We walked to the stage and all the lights came on. There was a huge 'Happy Birthday Katie' banner hanging across the set. And they all screamed 'Happy Birthday' at me.

"Oh my god! You guys!" I squealed. I ran towards them all and gave them all hugs starting with Ben, Jeremy and Andrew. Once I hugged them all I turned back and ran to Kara. "I can't believe you tricked me!" I said hugging her.

"Hey, Katie. What about my hug." I froze for a split second. I instantly recognised the voice. I turned around and found myself looking at my boyfriend.

"COREY!" I screamed running to him and jumping into his arms. I wrapped my legs around his waist as he supported me. I clung onto him tightly and then let go a little so I could see his face. "I can't believe you're here." I said, tears falling from my eyes and I leant down and kissed him. I held his face in my hands before he lowered me to the ground and hugged me as we kissed. When I pulled back he wiped my eyes. "What are you doing here? You said you had college work this weekend."

"I came to surprise you. I lied about college, and I spoke to Kara and Ben and organised a surprise party for you."

"I can't believe you Corey Cott." I said shaking my head. "I missed you so much." I went back to actually hugging him, my head on his chest as he held me tightly. "So so so much."

"I know Katie. Thats why I knew I had to come for your birthday. I've missed you beyond words this last month and a half, then Kara told me how you'd been struggling a bit and so I said I'd figure out a way to come be here today. And we organised this."

"Thank you so much." I pulled him into another short and sweet kiss. "You're the best boyfriend ever. And I love you so much Corey." I smiled as I realised I just told him I loved him for the first time.

"I love you too Katie. You're my world. My everything." He kissed my forehead and then just hugged me. "You ready to play some party games?" He whispered.

"Of course I am." I smiled and pulled back.

We spent 2 hours playing kids party games including but not limited musical statues, musical bumps, pass the parcel. At 5:15 Jeremy and Ben walked out with a pile of presents in each of their arms that all the cast had gotten me, I felt like I was part of the cast, not just Kara's sister. I opened them and smiled so widely. I had been given my very own newsies cap which I put on straight away and also a huge photo of them all from early rehearsals, with Corey in it too, signed by all of them and framed. There was also a journal which was really nice and a newsies hoodie. At 5:45 before most of the boys had to leave. Kara brought out a huge cake that said 'Happy Birthday Katie' on it. It has 22 candles on. I stood next to Corey, his arm wrapped around me as everyone sang happy birthday. Pretty much everyone was filming it on their phones so I knew I'd have several versions to look back over later. I'd never heard it be sung so beautifully, I had an entire cast of professional musical theatre performers sing to me and it was magical. I blew out all the candles and then smiled. "I didn't have another wish to make. My wish from this morning came true." I said looking up at my boyfriend as he kissed me softly. I then cut the cake and the boys that had to go left and the I spent some time with just Corey, Kara, Kevin, Ben, Andrew and Jeremy. We sat in a small circle although I was sat in Coreys lap after he lifted me into it. His arms were around me and I leant back against him feeling his body heat radiate off him. Ben gave me one more gift specifically from him. It was a personalised takeaway coffee flask that had my name on it. "I love it Ben."

"There's something inside." I opened it and found a $25 Starbucks gift card.

"You know me so well."

"I don't think I've ever saw you at college without a coffee in your hand so I thought this made sense."

"I love it. Thank you."

"And your first present from me." Corey smiled. "Is a birthday date." I smiled and kissed his cheek.

"Thanks love. I can't wait." I whispered. Before I knew it we had to be out the theatre so we all cleared away everything and left. I said goodbye to them all, Kara was taking all my gifts back to hers and then they all left leaving just Corey and I alone for our date.