1 - The New Boy

December 5th

I had been given the go ahead to join my sister in rehearsals for Newsies. We walked hand in hand to the 42nd street studios. "How do you feel Kara?"

"Excited. This is what I've dreamed off. And I know you will be in this same position some day soon." I smiled at her as we headed in. Ben immediately came and hugged me. He'd been at college with me and was one year above me, and had just graduated. He was my best friend though.

"Hey Ben." I said holding him close. "You excited for Broadway. I'm so proud of you, straight out of college."

"Yeah. I'm super excited. I bet you are excited to see your sister make her broadway debut. I know how close the two of you are."

"I can't wait. But I'm also excited to see my best friend make his debut too." I said smiling at him. Ben stayed with Kara and I and we went to find Jeremy and Andrew. There was a guy I didn't recognise standing with them.

"Hey Kara. Hey Katie." Jeremy smiled. "This is Corey. He's the Jack alternate and will be taking over when I leave. Corey, this is Kara, she's Katherine Plumber. And this is her little sister Katie."

"It's a pleasure to meet you both." He said softly. He shook Kara hand and then mine, I looked up at him and saw he has brown eyes that sparkled. He had this beautiful smile and rough cut hair. I was brought out of my gazing by their director.

"I should go take a seat." I said softly. I hugged Kara and Ben. Gave Jeremy and Andrew fist bumps and then found my seat. I got out a notepad and pen and started to take notes on the rehearsal. Corey came and sat next to me as the cast were running though a scene.

"It's Katie right?" He said softly.

"Yeah. Katie Lindsay. And you're Corey?"

"Yep. Corey Cott. So what are you doing here?"

"I'm shadowing my sister. It's part of an assessment for school. They want me to shadow and actor and then write a report on it focusing on what I learnt and what was unexpected. And so I chose my sister as it was easy and I knew a lot of the cast and team from their run at the Papermill."

"Oh so you're a performer?"

"Yeah." I smiled. "Senior year at NYU doing Musical Theatre."

"Nice. I'm at Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburg, senior year, that's why I'm alternating not understudying, once I go back to college after Christmas I can only perform Sunday matinee."

"Oh wow. I didn't realise you're still in school. That's incredible to be making your broadway debut as a leading man. Also Kara was at that school, she loved it so much there."

"Yeah it's a great place. I took a years break between high school and college, so I'll graduate the same time as you." He smiled. He had the most beautiful smile.

"Yeah we will." I smiled. I then felt myself blushing and quickly turned away.

"You're cute." He said softly. "And you're blushing." He said reaching to stroke my cheek. I saw my sister watching on and that worried me. What would she think. Sure Corey was cute and sweet, but I hardly knew him. He was also going to be playing the love interest of my older sister. I found it hard enough to watch my sister kiss a guy that wasn't her fiancé, imagine trying to watch your sister kissing your boyfriend. The thought made me feel sick and dizzy. "I'm going to go grab some water." I said standing and leaving. I stood outside for a moment and Kara joined me.

"You okay Katie?" She asked hugging me.

"Yeah. I'm just confused. I think Corey likes me. Or at least maybe finds me attractive, we literally just met and he's already called me cute. And I mean he is cute and seems really sweet, so I blushed and then he rested his hand on my cheek. And now I'm all confused. He's still in college, going to graduate with me, he took a year out before college though So he's a year older than me. But yeah. You know." I sighed and just hugged my big sister.

"Calm down. Maybe you'd find it easier if we went out and did some group things. Maybe you, me, Ben, Jeremy, Andrew and Corey. If we were all together maybe you won't feel so awkward or pressured. You can treat is like hanging out with your friends and then you can figure out if you actually like him or not."

"Yeah. I'd like that. Can we all go out for lunch together?" I suggested.

"That sounds good. I'll go tell the boys. Also, I know you and Ben are just best friends, but I want you to know that he cares about you. It was him that pointed out to me how uncomfortable and nervous you looked. I was just about to come walk over to you before you ended up leaving yourself. I can tell he's going to be watching out for you and super protective." I nodded. I liked that about Ben. He cared so much about people, and would do anything to make sure they felt happy and safe.

"Let's go back in." I said softly.

"Kara! We need you." Alan Menken, yes the Alan menken called. I saw all the boys huddled together in the center of the room. Jeremy was off at the piano with Alan. I immediately felt bad.

"It's okay I'll just explain that you were having a panic attack, which you were getting to that point sis. It's fine, go talk to the boys and maybe give them some mini interviews you can use to write your report. Be Katherine." Kara said kissing my forehead and walking off.

"Thanks sis," I turned and saw Ben getting up and coming towards me. I went to him and he wrapped me up in one of his big warm hugs.

"You okay Katie?"

"Yeah. I'm fine now. Thanks for looking out for me and sending Kara to help. I really appreciate it." I said resting the side on my head on his chest.

"You're welcome. I spoke to Corey, and he asked me about you, so I think he really likes you. I just said how you're really talented, kind, funny, caring. I said that we'd been to college together so have been best friends for three years now. Nothing too personal. Also Corey is a great guy. We were in middle school and high school together. So I've been best friends with him since I was 11."

"Okay. Well Kara and I have decided that I'll be best off getting to know him, as I did the rest of the boys, as a friend. I'm about to text some of the others. It's the usual group, so you, me, Kara, Jeremy and andrew, then we want to invite Corey along too."

"Sounds good. Now come join us, I doubt you'll want to go listen to Kara and Jeremy. It a new love song for them, and I know how you feel watching your sister kiss someone other than Kevin, or even singing a love song."

"Yeah," I sighed. "I don't wanna watch that." I took his hand and we headed back to the boys.

"You all remember Katie, Kara's little sister."

"Let's go with younger. I'm not that little. I'm 21. Little makes it seem like I'm a teenager." I suddenly said.

"Okay, Kara's younger sister. She's here for these 4 weeks of Christmas rehearsals because she's been set a college assignment to shadow a performer in a show and what better performer to shadow than her own sister."

"Yeah. I'm excited to spend these weeks with you all. Especially getting to be with my two best friends." I said smiling at Ben and then I glanced over at Kara. As a group we all talked until it was lunch time and we were sent off for an hour.