4 - Mutual Feelings

"Those two are perfect together." I heard Ben attempt to say quietly but failing.

"They sure are, I think Corey could make my little sister a very happy girl." I heard Kara say without even trying to be quiet. Corey and I stayed hugging for a moment longer before we mutually pulled away and parted. I looked over at Ben and Kara who were both smiling at me, tears in their eyes. I went over to them and hugged them both.

"I really like him." I said actually whispering. "Like a lot. Singing that song with him felt magical, it felt real." A moment later I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned and it was Corey. "Hey. You sounded amazing." I said blushing,

"You were incredible too. Can I have a word with you outside for a moment?"

"Sure." I walked out with him and he must have sensed me tensing up as he immediately pulled me into a hug causing me to relax. Kara and Ben had been the only people to ever be able to calm and relax me with just a hug, no words. I felt him kiss the top of my head again and I looked up at him.

"Okay. Um I just want to say, that singing that song with you just then. It felt so.. um.. so..." He said softly.

"Real?" I said for him.

"Yeah. Real, and magical."

"I feel the same way." I said softly. I stepped back so we weren't in a hug and took a deep breath. "Look Corey. I found you attractive and cute the moment I first saw you. But I was scared. You're going to be playing my big sisters love interest on Broadway. She's got a really special relationship with her fiancé, one I've watched develop from before they even began dating, and I've always hated seeing her kissing guys that wasn't him. I know it's just acting but i just don't enjoy it. So knowing you were going to be playing opposite her worried me. I knew if I found it hard to watch my sister kiss Jeremy, how much harder it would be be having to watch her kiss a man I liked. Over the last week or so. And particularly today, I've realised I just have to be stronger about it. And I can't let stage kisses get in the way of how I feel. So here is me being open with you and saying that I really like you Corey Cott. I think I'm starting to fall for you."

"I feel the same way Katie. I was scared to make a move and tell you I liked you because I knew that I'd have to kiss Kara every night, once Jeremy leaves. And I didn't want that to hurt you. But how could it hurt you if we weren't even together. Like you, I realised that as actors its something we just have to get over. Jeremy is engaged too, it must be just as awkward for him as it is for Kara. Anyway. I didn't want to leave to go back to Pittsburg without having taken a chance. I really really like you Katie Lindsay, I've never felt this way about a girl before. And I was wondering if maybe you'd like to go on a date with me."

"I'd love to go on a date with you. I'd love to see what happens between us. Because as I said singing beside you felt magical. And I already feel safe in your arms. Only Ben and Kara have been able to relax me just by giving me a simple hug, but I felt the same when you hugged me. So I know what we have must be special already."

"Great. How would you like to head out for dinner after rehearsal? I know it's soon but I don't have much longer before I'm only here on Saturday nights and Sundays."

"Sounds amazing." I said softly. "We should probably head back inside." I stood on my toes and kissed his cheek before we both walked in. They were running King of New York, just without Kara singing her lines. I heard one of the other boys try to sing in a high pitched voice and I tried to hold in a laugh. Corey put a hand on my back and we went and sat down beside one another in our seats. I grabbed my notepad and started taking a few notes about what I'd done today with singing Kara's songs. I knew it would be important for my report given that was the biggest opportunity I'd get as someone just shadowing her. I spotted Corey doodling out the corner of my eye and realised he was sketching me. "You're more of a Jack Kelly than I thought." I whispered looking see down at the drawing.

"Thanks. I've always enjoyed drawing as a way to pass time." I nodded and kept making notes. Once they'd finished king of new York they ran once and for all before they finished for the day. I only had one line to sing at the beginning so just stayed in my seat. I joined in at the end and then cheered.

"Great work today everyone. Katie, thanks for stepping in for your sister, Kara, rest your voice and hopefully you'll be back to full health tomorrow. Corey, it's great to see how much you've picked up just from watching. I'll see you all tomorrow. Oh Katie, don't forget to bring that stuff in for your agent."

"I won't." I smiled. I left the studio and once I'd been to the bath room I met up with Ben, Kara, Corey, Andrew and Jeremy. I stood next to Corey and he subtly rested his hand on my back.

"Katie, are you coming back home to mine tonight or what?" Kara asked me.

"Umm. No. I think I'm going to go home and start on my report. I also have to sort out my headshot, resume and agent details by the morning." I partly lied.

"Okay well let me walk you home." I nodded knowing I couldn't get out of that.

"Corey, want to come hang out?" Jeremy said.

"Nah. I leave for Pittsburgh in a week and a half so I need to start packing up everything." That was the worst lie I'd ever heard. I got my phone out and texted my address to Corey.

'Pick me up at 7?' He sent back a thumbs up. We parted ways and all walked home.