17 - Showcase

I paced around my dressing room I shared with my friends Becky and Maddie. "Katie. What's up?"

"I miss Corey and I don't know if he's going to make it. He has some emergency back at college this weekend, I think it's to do with him missing a lot  for newsies tech week, previews and opening night etc. So he didn't do the show today and his and Jeremy's understudy went on. He promised he'd come watch me, he didn't come yesterday as he was still in Pittsburgh and I don't know if he's going to make it on time. He hasn't messaged me at all because he's been driving. I know he's obviously trying to get here but yeah. And also there's been stuff going on back home, my granny is quite ill and I want to go see her but obviously can't at the moment because of college. I'm hoping to go some point next week but I may only be able to go on the weekend and that's the only time I get with Corey and it's just so difficult. I hate this whole long distance thing so much. I also haven't even heard from Kara if she's coming yet. She was out the show yesterday to watch the assessment but she said she'd try come to this too."

"Hey. Katie. You're going to be fine. I'm sure Corey is super close by, as is Kara." Maddie said softly. "You just have to go out there and do your very best. You're one of the best people on our course and you need to prove that tonight."

"I agree. Perform like your life depends on it. There are some seriously major casting directors in that audience who could cast you in your first broadway show. Just like they did for Ben and Newsies. He got that audition because of his showcase pieces." I nodded, still not being able to tell them about me being in newsies. I got ready and I saw my phone go off just as I left the room. I was desperate to check it but couldn't because I was meant to be onstage for the opening number. I was in the first two pieces and then had to change quickly into my first actual costume. I had been given permission to sing Watch What Happens and I couldn't wait. I was the 5th Number.

"Please welcome, Katie Lindsay, Performing Watch What Happens, from the new broadway musical, Newsies." I walked on stage and began to perform. I hoped Kara and Corey were out there but I had no idea. I sang the song flawlessly and took a deep breath at the end. I walked off and had a break so went to the dressing room and checked my phone. The first was a text from Kara.

'We made it! Can't wait to watch you shine Katie. Break a leg, I love you!' I smiled, glad she'd made it, and didn't bother texting her back because I knew her phone would be off.

The next was an Instagram Story post tagging me from Corey. I quickly opened it and was a photo of the showcase programme in front of the curtain. 'I can't wait to watch my angel shine onstage for the first time. I love you Katie. Break a leg!' Was the caption. I began to cry. He was here.

"HE'S HERE! THEY ARE BOTH HERE. Corey and Kara both made it!" I squealed. Both Maddie and Becky hugged me. I jumped up and down so excited.

"That's amazing Katie. I'm glad they both made it."

"Me too." I quickly put my phone down and changed. My second song was Breathe from in the heights. I changed and headed out ready to sing. There were a few other people with me backing me up. I sang it amazingly and I could hear Corey cheering for me. The rest of the showcase was amazing. We had dance numbers, of which I was going a tap piece and a contemporary musical theatre piece. And there were a few more songs I was part of. Before I knew it the showcase was over. We all bowed one at a time and stood in a line for a final bow. I then went and changed and ran out to the lobby as fast as I could. I saw Corey and froze before I got to him and I cried.

"Katie." He immediately came over to me and hugged me close, both our heads resting on the others shoulder. "You were amazing babe." I just continued to cry. "Hey, Angel. What's wrong?" He said rubbing my back, still just holding me close.