Ch. 30

We just got to the police station. Aoife is asleep on me and Rea is... well Rea. She's shut her emotions off but I know she'll break eventually. It just has to hit her. I'm a wreck but I'm trying to be strong for my girls.

"Um I got a call about my sister in a car accident? Garda Calvin called me." She tells the desk officer.

"I'll call him down. Please take a seat." He says. We sit in the lobby and her leg starts bouncing. I know she's a wreck but she isn't going to show it. I put my hand on her thigh and she jumps.

"It's ok, baby." I squeeze her thigh and she just nods before looking away from me.

"Miss Vallanzasca?" A man in uniform comes up to us. We immediately stand up.

"I am very sorry for your loss. Please follow me to my office." We follow him to the back of the station and sit in front of his desk.

"What happened? Exactly?" Rea asks'.

"It was a head on collision. A driver veered off into the wrong lane and collided with your sister and her husband. All parties died on impact. Again, my deepest condolences. I do have some questions for you, if that's ok?" Rea nods and he continues.

"Do you know where Aoife Thomas is? She, luckily, wasn't in the car." He asks.

"This is Aoife. She's staying with us." I answer, quietly so she doesn't wake up.

"Great. We have contacted your mother and father, both will be in tomorrow." He continues asking us random questions and we finally get to leave by 1:30. I put Aoife in her seat before getting in the drivers side but don't start the car.

"Talk to me?" I grab her hand and look over to her. She sighs and squeezes my hand.

"I don't know what to say. She's gone. Johns gone. We have Aoife to consider now. Johns parents are all the way in America, so we'll have to call them. We have to burry both of them and Aoife has to grow up without parents and I-" she cracks and tears up. I quickly climb out of the car and go to her side, opening the door and pulling her too me.

"I know, baby... just breathe." She cries in my neck. I hate seeing her cry. There's so much we have to do. And now her parents are coming in, her mum is a handful. I have to tell my parents...

I pull away from her and kiss her forehead then wipe her tears.

"Let's go home." She nods and sits back in her seat. I walk around and climb in the drivers seat. The ride home is silent. Neither of us are talking. All I want to do is hold her. It's nearly 2:30 but the time we get home. I go upstairs and put Aoife in her bed. We'll have to explain everything to her tomorrow.

'Hi da.' I hear Rea say when I go back down. They talk for a few minutes before she hangs up.

"What did they say?" I ask her. She sighs then sits on the couch.

"They're taking a train in the morning. Mum is being insensitive, like usual. I can tell she doesn't really care. Da, Nonna, and Nonno are all a mess. I don't even want to deal with mum." She tells me. Her mother is a very complicated person. I sit next to her and pull her on my lap.

"Just don't worry about your mum. Do you want to go back to sleep or what?" I ask her. I know she's tired but her brain probably won't shut off for her to get some rest. She just shrugs and lays her head in my neck. I put my hands under her shirt so I can try to calm her. I shift so we're laying down on the couch and she's on top of me.

-Andrea's POV-

I feel numb. All I want to do is cry but I don't have the energy to. I can't feel anything. I've never lost someone close to me before. It feels like my heart could explode. Then there's Aoife. I'm not letting her go with my parents. I love my dad but she's not getting raised by my mother. Nonna and Nonno are too old to keep up with a two year old. Johns parents are never home. Would Niall be ok with raising Aoife? With him touring again in a few months, it'll be hard. But I'm not letting her go anywhere else. She's also my Goddaughter, so she automatically goes to me when her parents passed.

"Aoife... she's my Goddaughter. I don't want her going to my parents nor Johns. Nonna and Nonno are too old to raise a baby." I say. His hands are under my shirt and they feel nice.

"I figured. We can raise her. If that's what you want." He says.

"I do but it'll be hard, with you touring. I won't go since we'll have her." I tell him.

"I know but I'll be here as much as I can. And you two can come visit. We're in this together, ok?"

"I know, I'm just so scared. We're full time parents now." I sigh. Neither of us were ready for kids yet but now we have a two year old.