9. You aren't drunk this time

"Be careful out there," I told my dad as he picked up his rifle.

"It's not me you should be worried about; it's your grandad," He chuckled, and his father frowned at him, but I can't hide my laugh.

"Are you calling me old, because if you are, I will show you how old I really am," Grandad muttered and hit dad with his cap? I smile at the wrinkled man, and he gives me a wink. To be in his sixties, he still has a bold sense of humor.

"I have shot more wolves than you, son; I will get this one as well," He said and rolled my eyes at their foolishness. Wolves have always been a problem for my grandad; they keep on attaching his herd. But no matter how many times they go out there, I will always be on my toes.

"We will see about that," My dad chuckled.

"You should go home; we will most likely be out all night," He told me.

"But I can stay here with grandmom," I offered as I listened to her making tea in the kitchen.

"Yeah, well," He came closer to me.

"I don't trust your mom being home alone," Dad said, and I nodded, understanding what he meant. She might either get into trouble or steal my father's saving. Not like he is aware that I know about it, but I do. It's for emergencies, I figured.

"Yeah, I get it," I sighed, not happy that I have to be with her alone, but I would do anything for my dad.

"I see you tomorrow," He smiled, stepping out the back door that is facing the forest. Grandad waves and leaves as well.

***

Before I left, I said goodbye to grandmom. I don't want to go home, knowing the person who is there is my mother—the woman who never gave a damn about me. And when she tries, it feels so forced, and I know she will leave again anyway. She does it every time, and I have burned myself one too many on that already.

"No, no, no," I groan in frustration as the truck made a strange sound and started to slow down. I managed to stop it on the side of the road. A loud sigh comes out of my mouth as I leaned my head on the steering wheel.

It feels like everything is crashing down around me. My car is a piece of crap. Dad and grandad are out in the woods hunting down a wolf. Mom is home, and I don't know what her intentions are. Lynda has been acting strange and not to mention my messed up feelings for Nico. Nothing, absolutely nothing, has gone my way in life. A wave of anger hits as I hit the seat next to me. It felt a bit nice to do that.

I pick up my phone but realized I couldn't call dad nor my grandad. Of course, my grandmom can't drive because of her impaired vision. My mom doesn't have a car, so it leaves me with only one option, Lynda. But she is not answering, should perhaps have expected that. A rush of hope appears as a car stops in front of me.

"Oh no," I grumbled to myself as I saw who it was. I jumped out of the truck, and as always, Nico smiles at me.

"Do you need help?" She asked, wearing her blue soccer hoodie along with a darker pair of jeans.

"Yeah, it won't start," I explained to her, and she nodded.

"I can drive you home," She said, pointing at her car.

"That would be nice; thank you, unless it's too much of a trouble?" I answered, but she shakes her head.

"No, not at all. I was going home, but I can go back," Nico offered nicely, sticking her hands down in her jeans pocket.

"Okay," I said and followed her to the car.

"Look at the bright side. You aren't drunk this time," She joked as we get into the car.

"Funny," I rolled my eyes while I placed the seatbelt over myself.

"Your eyebrow looks better," Nico said out of nowhere as we are on the way back to town.

"Yeah, it's only a scar now," I try and keep the conversation going so it won't be awkward, but I remembered that I am not good at small talk. Nico has this effect of making me nervous as well, which doesn't help.

"I haven't seen you in a couple of weeks," She mentioned, which I found odd. We live on each side of town and go to a different school, and it shouldn't make sense that we would meet often.

"We aren't really supposed to see each other are we?" I questioned and looked at her, seeing that she narrowed her eyes.

"No, well, maybe," She shrugged; I don't think she expected me to say that. We remain silent for now, the sun has settled, and it's gone all dark by the time she stops the car in the driveway.

"Oh no," I said, seeing that there is no light on the inside of the house. It can either mean my mother is taking a nap or she has left, once again.

"Is there something wrong?" Nico asked.

"No, it's okay, thank you, though," I rushed out of the car towards the house. The door is unlocked, and I entered.

"Mom?" I shouted, searching around the bottom floor, but she is nowhere to be found.

"Mom?" I yelled once more as I rush up the stairs, listening to them squick underneath my feet.

"Dammit," I groaned after I have looked everywhere. She left but didn't take my father's money.

"Are you okay?" I heard Nico shout through the door downstairs. Why is she still here? I find myself back down, and she is standing in the hallway.

"Yeah, I'm okay; you can go home," I told her.

"Are you sure?" She questioned one more time.

"Yes, just go," I answered a bit harshly, and she nodded lightly.

"Okay," She gave me a small smile before she shut the door behind herself. That was mean of me to do. Nico was friendly enough to drive me home, and I talked to her rudely.

"Crap," I mumble as I went for the door.

"Wait," I said as I run-up to her as she was about to place herself in the car.

"I'm sorry," I told her as she left the door open.

"It's okay. I understand you have your issues, and I shouldn't pry," Nico smiled at me, but with a tint of sadness in her eyes.

"Doesn't mean I should take it out on you," I sighed, and I shivered from the cold evening wind that struck me.

"You were kind, and I appreciate you for helping me, once again," I rolled my eyes, and she grinned at my words.

"Yeah, no, it's not a problem," She stared at me but then bit her lower lip gazing at the ground.

"I will see you around number ten," She winked at me and couldn't stop the smile from appearing on my face.

"Yeah," I said, and she shut her door close. She disappeared out of the driveway, and a void of loneliness appeared in my chest. I shake my head to myself, knowing very much that it won't ever happen.