35. What should we do?

Thoughtfully I'm driving back home with Nico next to me. I have been trying to talk to her about the game since I picked her up at her home. Yet, I can't seem how to find the first word to the sentence. I think it makes me uneasy because I wish I didn't have to play this game, but I don't have a choice. Neither does Nico, and it drives me mad that we have to go through this. We knew, though, that this would happen, but we never really had a conversation about it. 

It's only a week left, and the closer the day comes, the more nervous I become. I literally sat in class, overthinking it all, and noticed that my hands were shaking. That can't be normal. I don't see Nico that often nowadays, and I can't tell if she is worried or not. But I also find it odd that she hasn't brought up the conversation. 

Then again, If there is something I have learned about Nico, it's that she will ignore and tuck away the things she doesn't want to face or feel. How she can do that, I don't know. I mean, it has to blow up at some point, and it concerns me that it hasn't yet. 

"Are you okay?" Nico asked, and I turned to her as she has pulled me out of my mind. 

"Yeah," I smiled when I saw the worried look on her face. 

"You seem a bit off," She said, placing her hand on my thigh. I met her eyes for a second, and clearly, she knows something is wrong. 

"The game," I told her quietly and cleared my throat uncomfortably as I stared endlessly at the road, too scared to look at her.  I heard her sigh loudly and reminded silent for a moment. 

"I know," Nico said, and I found the strength to watch her again, and she was staring down at her hands with a sad look on her face. 

"What should we do?" I broke the quietness in the truck as she hasn't said anything in a while. 

"What do you think?" She asked in return, which I didn't expect. 

"We don't really have any options other than to play, so maybe we should just do what we always do," I shrugged, unsurely if I said the wrong thing or not. 

"We put our feelings aside and may the best team win," I told her, and she started to chuckle. 

"I guess we can do that; I'll win, though," She said, and when I looked at her, she had a playful grin across her face. 

"Of course you will," I rolled my eyes, and she laughed at me. 

"I know," She smiled, and I know before it would frustrate me, but now since I know Nico, it's funny. She is cute; her confidence and her playfulness are adorable. I remember when I first met her, she pissed me off and annoyed me. But I didn't know her then, and I didn't understand her as a person. 

I turned into my home's driveway to spot an unfamiliar car parked next to my dad's. I thought dad was at work this afternoon like he usually does on Fridays. Yet, I have a bad feeling something is wrong. 

"Your dad is home," Nico sounded surprised, just like I am. 

"Yeah," I said automatically as I stopped the car in a daze; not sure what is going on, I step out of the truck. Nico following me inside, and I felt my hands turn into fists as I saw it was my mother. Sitting in front of the table and my father leaning on the kitchen counter. He smiled lightly at me, and Nico wrapped her arm around mine. Mostly likely to keep me in place since last time it didn't go so well. 

"Hi, girls," Dad said.

"Hi," I replied and looked at my mom, who smiled weakly. If my dad is going into something stupid with her again, I swear to god I might explode much worse this time. 

"Where have you been?" I asked my mother. She looks better than the last time she was here. Her eyes aren't red, nor does she look tired anymore. She opened her mouth to answer, but shut it again, seems lost on how to respond to me. 

"Your mom," My dad took the word. 

"Has gotten a job in town, you know the cafe at the mall?" He asked, and I nodded; it's a nice, cozy place. 

"Yeah, she is going to work there full-time and is renting a small apartment in town," He smiled, and I looked in between them, stunned. 

"So you are staying this time?" I wondered, and she nodded. I'm sure if I am happy or not, I can't tell at the moment. It's all mixed feelings because, honestly, I don't want her here. Every time she came back, she left with not a word. Yet this time, it's different; she has a place to work and live now. Not depending on my father to have somewhere to live and go to for money. 

I'll give her a chance in this and see where it goes, but that doesn't mean I will bring her into my warmth right away. I still don't trust her, and I believe I have every right to feel that way. 

"Okay," Was the only thing I said before I left the kitchen with Nico on my tail until we reach the bedroom, where I fall onto the bed and stare at the ceiling.

"Are you okay?" She asked and laid herself on top of me, looking into my eyes. 

"Yeah," I answered, and she narrowed her eyes as she placed her hand onto my cheek.

"Are you sure? Because I know your feelings towards your mom, and I don't know what you are thinking right now," She said lightly, almost scared she has stepped over a line. 

"I'm just going to see it through. She might stay for a little while and leave again, or she might actually stay this time. I'm not sure, so I wait and see," I shrugged.

"Okay, that sounds like a fair way of seeing it," She smiled lightly but then huffed as she rested her chin on my chest.

"And here I thought we were going to have some fun," She said. 

"Fun?" I questioned, and she rolled her eyes at me with a grin. 

"I love you," She chuckled, and I gaze around in confusion. 

"I love you too," I responded, unsure of what is happening right now. Then, grinning, she pulled herself up closer to me, her earthly color eyes soft as she looked into my gray. 

"I love the way you get confused sometimes. It's adorable," She told me, and without warning, my nose crinkled to that. I can never prevent it from happening. She placed her fingertip on my nose like she always does when I do it. 

"I'm going to miss you, everything about you," Nico said, and the smile she had faded away. 

"It's going to be okay," I smiled, placed my hand onto her cheek, which made her smile a little again.

"Yeah," She said softly, but it's clearly bothering her, and I understand that. Yet, we are still young, and there is more to life than a relationship. It's education, work to be able to provide for ourselves to get a good future. Hopefully, we both can get it, but together when the time is right. It's become my mindset the past few weeks now.  

"We will be okay," I held her face in my hands, and she grinned.

"I know,"