12. You take all your girls up here

November, here and I'm still stuck on the same path. It's been almost two months, and she is still there. She is with me wherever I am, at school, practice, and home. It came to a point where I had to ask dad on how to make it stop. He responded that it would take time. I don't have time; I can't concentrate, and I have lost all focus on soccer. Coach Warren had to switch me out in the last game because I was that bad.

I'm frustrated because I keep on forgetting things, and every time I have a conversation with Lynda, I seem to lose interest. My mind drifts away to Nico. I always wonder what she is doing and where she is. When Lynda and I are at the Dinner, I gaze upon the door each time it's opened. Hope is created in my chest, begging that it would be her. But she hasn't been around for a couple of weeks now. At least we haven't crossed roads yet.

I was on the way to my grandparents, but I stopped as I saw Nico's house. Every part of me screams for me to go and knock on the door. But I have been remained seated for the past half an hour. I don't know why I'm still here. Perhaps the silence is pleasant, and it's what I need to be able to accept that I can't go there.

"Hi, number ten," I jumped in my seat and turned with my hands over my heart. My window is halfway open, and Nico is grinning at me.

"What are you doing here?" She asks, leaning on my truck as I take down the rest of the window.

"I got a bit lost," I say, not sure how to respond to her.

"I saw your truck and thought I would pay you a visit," She smiles.

"You mean, scaring me?" I tell her, offended.

"Yeah, I kinda sneaked through the trees and behind your truck," She explains, pointing down the road.

"Well, since you are lost, would you like to come inside?" She offers nicely with a small pull of her shoulders; as much as I would love to, I have to decline.

"No, thank you," I tell her lightly, and she presses her lips together, disappointed with my answer. The look on her face hurt as if someone punched me in the chest.

"But would you like to go somewhere with me?" I ask, and Nico's face lit up right away, which is captivating. How can someone like me create such a beautiful smile in someone? It might just be the most delightful thing I have ever done in my life.

I take her in as she seated herself next to me as she pulls her brown hair up in a ponytail. The dark jeans hug her long legs, but it all turned around when I saw her blue hoodie.

"What?" She asks as she noticed I was frowning.

"You can't wear that in my car," I point at her Griffits hoodie. She looks down at herself and raises her eyebrow.

"Are you serious?"

"Yes, pretty much," I tell her, at first it was a joke, but the way she reacted made it funnier to keep it going.

"I only have a t-shirt underneath, and it's cold," She crosses her arms over her chest, but I indicate that it does not matter to me.

"Fine," She muttered and pulled her hoodie off.

"Better?"

"It would have been better if you thew it out the window, but I'm not that mean," I made her laugh as she shook her head in disbelieve.

"Oh, you are mean, Wilder, it's freaking cold," She hugs herself with her arms as she is shaking.

"I have an extra hoodie in the bag," I point at the one next to her feet. She pulls it out as I started driving in the direction of our destination. It's on the way to my grandparent's house, but it's a rough way up to where we are going. I could have let Nico put her hoodie back on, but I'm a bit scared someone might see her in it. People are too nosy in this town, and I don't want anyone to know that I spend time with a rival. But she doesn't seem to mind wearing one of mine, even though it's a bit short on the sleeves.