21. This is your fault

As Christmas came closer, the more depressed Nico became. She bearly left her bed, and here I thought I was quiet, but only a few words came out of her. The only thing she did was either watch videos on her phone, play the piano or sleep. 

I felt like I could never leave her side, but at times I had to go, mostly to my grandparents, to work on the farm. Sometimes I would try and bring Nico with me to see the cates that have fallen in love with her, but not even that worked. 

I know we all have our rough parts in our lives, and the only way out is to go through it. There are no shortcuts; I wish there was and that I could pull her out, but I can't. We have to take it day by day, and maybe she will come through eventually. 

Her mother said she would always feel better at some point but said if it will take too long, she thought about potentially get her a psychologist again. I believe she is right, but only time will tell. Some things are out of our hands. 

I spent the last five nights with her; I hoped it would bring her comfort and perhaps put the loneliness at ease a little. She has been quite shut off and hasn't spoken about how she feels or thinks. It's worrying considering as a person, she always speaks her mind and constantly talks. 

"Hi," I smiled as she opened up her heavy eyelids. 

"Hi," She said.

"How are you?" I asked as I laid my hand on her cheek, stroking her skin with my thumb. 

"Tired," She answered. 

"That's okay," Nico closed her eyes as she leaned into my hand. 

"I'm sorry, I'm the most depressing person to spend Christmas with," She sighed sadly.

"I wouldn't have it any other way," I said, and it earned me a smile.  

"You are the sweetest," She moved forward and place a kiss on my forehead, her lips warm and soft like always. 

"Is there anything you wish to do?" I wondered, but she shook her head.

"Well," I went out of bed and pulled a gift out of my bag.

"I got you something," I said, and she sat up in her bed, seeming curious.

"Here," I smiled as I handed her the soft-wrapped gift and sat down next to her. She bit her lip, a bit skeptical about opening it, but then she did with a grin. 

"No, you didn't," She said, offended and hit me with the shirt. But then held up my red soccer kit to look at it. I asked for another one with a bigger size since Nico is longer than me. My name on the back, along with my number, ten. 

"I love and hate it at the same time," She laughed yet stood up and put it on anyway. She looks beautiful; she always does. 

"I know I should not like it, but I love the fact that your name and number are on it," She grinned, grabbing my hands and pulled up to my feet.

"Thank you," Her arms hold me tightly around my waist. She seems happier somehow, and it's relieving. 

"What do you usually do on Christmas eve?" She wondered and placed her forehead on mine. 

"Dad and I would listen to Christmas songs on the radio as we made breakfast together," I shrugged, and a little smile was tugging on her lips. 

"That sounds nice; we can do that," She offered.

"We don't have to; it's okay," She laid her hand over my mouth. 

"I want to," Nico smiled.

"Let me just get ready first," She said and, in a hurry, planted a kiss on my forehead.