19. I kinda cried all over you

Nico has been at a few of my soccer games, except when we play on the same day, of course. But I thought today that I would return the favor. I put on a beanie and pulled the jacket's hoodie over my head to avoid people recognizing me. I'm placed on the top of the bleachers, closets to the entrance. 

It's half full of people who are charging and shouting like crazy. I can hear them when I am on the pith myself, but sitting so close to them is intense. In a way, it's kind of scary as they are unpredictable. 

But most of my attention has been on the one in the goal. She has been incredible, keeping the ball out with amazing saves to hold your breath for. There was one where the whole crowd stood up, believing the ball was going into the net, but she screeched herself up so far that she managed to let the ball slide of her hand and over the bar. 

Nico doesn't know that I am here; I thought it would add pressure and distract her if she did. She has been nothing but kind and patient with me, and I wish I were better to show her how much I appreciate it. But as much as I want to, I don't know how to do that. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to being social or showing her how I feel. It isn't easy to lay it out there or find the perfect words, but she still remains with me, considering my flaws. 

I shiver to the cold. The dark evening lightened up with the spotlights over the soccer field. Everyone stood up on their feet around me in tension as the opposite team player swang around the defense. All alone, Nico comes out, stretching herself for the ball. She caught it but let out a bone-breaking shriek as the player tried to jump over her but landed with her foot on top of the side of her stomach. 

I remained seated with trembling hands as everyone is gathering around her. As much as I want to run down to her and see if she is okay, I can't. A man with a medic bag rushes over to her side. A few players went to the sideline to get something to drink while they wait. Now I can see Nico lying on the ground with her hands over her face. She winced as the man added ice over her kit on the side of her ribs. I hope she didn't break anything. 

After a while, she is carefully pulled up onto her feet and limped out of the field with help from the guy. She placed herself onto the bench slowly, holding onto the ice pack against herself.  Another keeper replaced her as Nico's head is hanging low. But then she talked to one of her teammates, and she handed her a bag. 

When I saw that she pulled out her phone, I decided to text her, saying that I am here. As she saw the text, she looked around, but she can't see me; I'm too far away and hidden. Before I left the bleaches, I told her to meet me outside with her car as I spotted it when I arrived here. 

I lean on the door as I'm waiting for her, hiding my hands in my pockets to keep them warm. It took her about fifteen minutes before I spotted her, limping down the parking lot with her bag in her hand. The look of sunshine that was always all over has faded away. 

When she lifted her head and spotted me, she broke into tears as she raised her arms carefully to place them around my neck. I hold onto her lightly as she is trembling in my arms. I almost asked her if she was okay but stopped myself as I realized that would be a stupid thing to say. Of course, she is not alright. 

"I'm sorry," She said and let me go as she dried the tears away from her cheeks.  

"Why are you apologizing?" I wondered, baffled. 

"I kinda cried all over you," She chuckled through her tears. 

"That's okay; how bad is it?" I asked.

"Nothing is broken, luckily," She smiled at that, and I nodded, seeing her parents coming from behind, worry written all over their faces. 

***

Nico laid down in her bed slowly and as painless as she could, but she still whimpered. She was quiet the entire trip back home, which is very unusual to be her. I didn't know what to say, so I stayed silenced as well. Perhaps that was what she wanted, but I'm not sure.

Her parents wanted to take her to the doctor's, but Nico said she was fine. I thought her parents were right, yet she was too stubborn. Yet, I believe if something were really wrong, she would have told us so. 

She pulls up her shirt steadily, and I bent down next to her on the floor. I almost winched myself of the view on her skin. The studs from the soccer shoes have dug down into her skin, and the whole area is red and sore. 

"The perks of being a goalkeeper," She tried to laugh, but it clearly hurt. 

"I can get you some ice," I offered, yet she shook her head. 

"No, I just want your company," Nico smiled, pulling me by the arm, and I take the hint as I laid down beside her. 

"I'm not much of a company," I said as she laid her head on my shoulder.

"You are more than enough," She breathed and nuzzled her face in my neck, which sent chills down my back. She chuckled at my reaction. 

"Thank you for being there today," Nico sounded happy.

"You don't have to thank me. You were amazing, though," I said, remembering each saves she took. 

"Did I just hear a compliment?" She smiled against the skin on my neck. 

"I guess," I answered. 

"So you think I'm a good goalkeeper, you like my cheekbones, you like me, and you think I'm beautiful. What more could I ask for?" She chuckled, but a yawn escaped her lips, her breath tickling me on the neck. 

"You have beautiful eyes," I shrugged. 

"That's nice," She mumbled. 

"Your personality is like a ray of sunshine to me. You always manage to make people smile around you. The effect you have is incredible," I smiled. 

"You are sweet when you want to be," Nico said, half asleep, and I crinkled my nose to that. She did question what more she could ask for. I thought I was supposed to answer this time. Well, what do I know?