17. I missed you

Every day this week, Nico has sent me a bunch of messages. She always sends me one at exactly 22:30, saying goodnight. I don't mind, but when I'm in class, it's a little distracting. Lynda would tease me each time, asking me who it was, even though she knows very well. It's a nice feeling, knowing that every time my phone buzzes, it's her. I don't think I have smiled so much before. 

But when I am at school or practice with my team, I tend to feel guilty at times. I'm hanging out with a rival, and I know it would be a disaster if they found out. They would hate me. I have basically done a huge crime. 

"Is your girlfriend texting you again?" Lynda asked as she sat down in front of me in the Dinner. 

"No," I shook my head.

"It's dad saying he will be late today," I sighed, knowing I will come home to an empty house again. It's annoying; it always happens on Fridays. Some of the paperwork is not done, and he will finish it for the others. He doesn't have to, but he gladly does it for a little extra payment.

"Wait. What?" I said as I realized what Lydna had actually said, and she burst into laughter. 

"She is not my girlfriend," I argued, placing my phone on the table, which buzzed right away. I thought it was dad, but it was Nico.

"Are you sure?" She grinned at me. 

"I mean, you should maybe make her your girlfriend," She winked at me, but I only frowned.

"So, what is your girlfriend texting you?" Lynda keeps on mocking me, and I glare at her.

"Fine, I'll stop," She surrendered. 

"She is wondering what I am doing," I said while typing that I'm with my friend. 

"Why would I make her my girlfriend? We bearly know each other," I told her, and she rolled her eyes at me.

"Perhaps that has something to do with your attachment problems," She said and cleared her throat, avoiding my gaze. 

"Shut up," I complained as I got another text from Nico. 

"What did she say?" My nosy friend asked. 

"She was wondering if I wanted to come on a visit later," I shrugged.

"You should go, like right now," Lynda said in a rush, and I raised my eyebrow. 

"Why would I do that? I'm here with you," I do want to go, though, but it would be wrong to leave my friend as I promised to go out and eat with her today.

"Oh my god, Wilder," She placed her hands on her face with a groan. 

"You have finally found a person who you like, and you are going to waste your time here with me?" She said, waving her hands in the air as if I was crazy. I look at her, not sure how to respond. 

"Go!" She pointed at the door behind her. 

"Okay," I said slowly but stood up.

"I see you later," She chuckled at me now and ignored it as I found my way out. 

***

I knock lightly on the door and place my cold hands back into the pockets of my jacket as I wait. But quickly it was opened by a tall man who is smiling down at me.

"You must be Wilder," He said as he pushed his glasses back on his nose. 

"I guess," I answered, a bit taken aback by his appearance as I took a step back.

"You guess you are not sure?" He laughed and gestured me to enter. 

"Yeah, I am. I'm sorry," I apologized.