40 - yule ball

—————
Y/n POV
—————

The day went by quickly and everyone was talking about the ball tonight.

Jade and I immediately ran to our dorm after class to start getting ready. She curled my hair lightly and straightened her own. She put her hair in a slick ponytail and braided a strand of my hair to flow down the side of my head.

She applied my makeup and then I did hers.

"Are you excited?" Jade smiled kindly and I nodded.

"Yeah, Cedric left me last night a bit strangely,and then I saw Malfoy sleeping against a tree. It was an odd night to say the least." I smiled, but quickly became concerned by Jade's worried face.

"You saw Draco...in the garden?" Jade asked quietly and I tried not to think much of it and just nodded.

She looked around for a minute as if contemplating in her thoughts before mumbling, "I have to go. I'm sorry, Y/n. I'll see you at the ball."

—————
Draco's POV
—————

"You have to tell her."

"Lockhart, have you gone mad? I can not tell her!" I exclaimed, quite frustrated that Jade had bursted in my room a few minutes ago.

She paced back and forth in my room before saying, "I can't stand seeing you so upset and then seeing her not even recognize who you truly are. It hurts me!"

I gulped and looked down at my shoes.

"Listen, Draco. I know you think that you're trying to keep her safe, but you both need each other. You need to find a way to reverse this," she said softly, trying not to anger me.

I thought about the idea for a moment, before pushing it aside and growling, "I can't."

She rolled her eyes and scowled at me, "You don't think that I'm afraid of putting Ryder in danger! My parents are death eaters too for Merlin's sake!"

I gasped.

I forgot that the Lockhart family had worked with mine before, I didn't know that they were death eaters.

"Does that mean...are you?"

"No, Draco. I'm not one of them. I've begged my parents repeatedly to keep me out of it and unlike yours, mine allowed me freedom." She sighed, "I'm sorry, by the way."

I looked down at my robes and adjusted them before replying, "There's nothing we can do about it, yeah? We just have to move on."

And then she hit me on the head.

"Geez, Lockhart. What was that for?!" I exclaimed, rubbing my head.

"You need to stop focusing on the negatives and get your tux before I drag your ass to the ball, myself!" She warned and I couldn't help but smile.

"Okay, okay. You know, you scare me sometimes." I laughed and she smiled.

"Good."