5. Threats

Nina

The moment my alarm went off the next morning I swore, throwing it off the nightstand before I remembered I had company through my groggy haze. I rolled over and watched Jeff bolt upright while he wielded his knife and Thomas sat up groggily in the corner, scouring the room with a squinted gaze.

"What the fuck was that?" Thomas asked as he looked up at me.

"It's Tuesday, right?" Jeff asked and I nodded in response, "she's still got school."

"Thank God I don't."

He rolled back over and pulled the blanket around himself while I laughed, throwing mine up and getting to my feet while I stretched. Jeff popped his back and hoisted himself into a sitting position against the wall while I dug through my closet, pulling down a plain shirt and my ripped jeans before I stuffed my books back into my bag.

"Mom will be gone right after I leave," I started, "she usually gets home right before me too. Just keep it down until she's gone and the house is all yours."

"I'll probably leave jackass over there to keep watch, I'd rather get a layout of where I am," he explained as he got to his feet, "how far is your school from here?"

"I'm right in town, Tempe's a bit bigger than Silver Cove though so you're not going to cover much ground in daylight."

"You'd be surprised what I can get done," Jeff laughed, pulling a flannel on over his shirt, "what time's lunch?"

"Eleven." I narrowed my eyes. "Why?"

"Maybe I'll swing by, give you something to look forward to."

The thought of getting to see him actually made me feel a bit better about leaving and I nodded, grabbing for my clothes before I walked across the hall to the bathroom and changed. Normally I'd be a little more hesitant to share my space but these were two people I trusted more than anything and if it meant they were out of trouble for the time being they could stay as long as they wanted. I waved to my mom as I grabbed a granola bar from the pantry and ran back upstairs, Thomas greeting me now that Jeff had kicked him awake and he looked rather grumpy about it.

"Why do I have to stay here?"

"In case anyone else happens to be following our tracks," Jeff said as I grabbed my bag, "you remember what happened in Georgia?"

"What happened in Georgia?" I asked.

"Some guy with a fuckin' twitch and a couple of axes tried to take us out," Thomas explained while he rubbed at his empty socket, "we lost him but ever since we've tried to cover our asses."

"Spooky, I wonder if there's some underground bounty on your heads."

"At this point I wouldn't be surprised," Jeff snorted, "headin' out?"

"Chris is already outside so yeah," I hugged him tightly before I left, getting an equally crushing grip back before I ran out of the room. I waved to Mom again before I barreled out the door and met up with Chris, his smile teasing as we saw the bus round the corner.

"I heard you last night you know," he said quietly and my heart stopped in its tracks, "who did you sneak in? I didn't know you had a boyfriend."