32. No more regrets

Kitty

This can't be real...I have to be dreaming...!

I blinked a few times after the name left my lips, violently shaking while I looked a ghost in the face. She seemed equally confused as she stared back at me, her wary gaze flickering back and forth while her eyelids fluttered.

"Kitty?" She whispered, "wh-where are we? What happened?"

"Guys!" I called loudly over my shoulder as I tried to figure out how she could be here. It didn't take me long and I realized with a start that Jeff had not only collected on his own bounty but did what he thought would right his wrongs. He brought her back to me.

"Holy shit it's cold!" She huffed suddenly as she got to her feet, latching onto her arms to steady her and noting that mine were still covered in my own blood. Jules recoiled before she took my arm to examine the injuries. "Oh my God, Kitty what happened?!"

"What— what is the last thing you remember, Jules? When did you last see me?"

"Uh, I— I guess when you dropped me off outside the Café?" Jules blinked a few times as she pulled her hands away and looked at the blood. Something sparked in her eyes before her face paled though, a dawning horror that scared me right to my core. "No, I...this can't be right. It was summer— June, we were about to graduate—! Kitty, what the fuck happened—?!"

"Juliette." A tear slipped over my cheek as I gripped her shoulders tightly. "You died on Riley Avenue a year and a half ago. You were murdered. Do you remember that?"

"Vividly," her breathing picked up as the color returned to her face in a rush of red, "h-how am I here?! And where are we?!"

"Kitty!"

"Fuck, this is so bad!" I huffed as Nina's voice struck through the air. "Jules I will explain everything to you and more on the way, but you just got shoved into a whole shitshow and we need to move before it gets worse."

"O-Okay, okay, start doing what you gotta do, I'll manage." She nodded and I grabbed her hand before collecting my dropped knives and my mask, rushing back to Chelsea and Nina to watch as Tom slipped back to convulsing.

"Where's Jeff?!" Chelsea yelled, looking around until she saw our company, her jaw dropping before she did a double take, "Jules?!"

"Oh my God, you're fucking with me," Nina started with a screech, "did Jeff go with him?! Did Operator bring her back?!"

"Listen, I don't know what the fuck Jeff did but we need to get Tom back to the car." I commanded them like God herself, searching for a way out before I realized the truck was still running. "There, put him in the bed! We'll drive back down!"

Chelsea and Nina did what they could to carry him while I helped, sliding his body into the bed before Chelsea jumped up after to join him. Nina, Jules and I hopped into the cab before I turned the music off with a swift right hook to the dash and turned to leave, taking the trail back as fast as I could without sending us full tilt down the mountain. I kept glancing to my right, Jules' eyes trained on the two figures in the back as Chelsea held Thomas's head in her lap, still covered in duct tape and bleeding. I don't even know where the fuck to start with this; where does one start to explain an entire missing year, especially one as eventful and distressing as the one she'd missed?

"Nina, how did you get here?" I asked sharply to catch her attention and distract myself from the other matters at hand.

"U-Um, don't get mad," she stammered, a sudden panic flooding her mutilated face, "I— I might've tied up some loose ends before I left and taken mom's car."