14. Home sweet home

Kitty

Y'know, I thought I was pretty damn smart.

I tried to stay in the same place as long as possible through the months but we always ended back at Liu's place in Colorado, Ann being a doll of a gal and welcoming me with open arms. I felt a little bad for her, she was infatuated with Liu and the only thing he really seemed to have his eyes set on was killing his brother. There were quite a few nights I heard them talking, Ann desperately trying to convince Liu he wasn't worth chasing, but there was a want for revenge in his body that even I couldn't understand. He didn't know the meaning of forgive and forget, or at least, know when to let things lie.

Most of the time we ended up staying somewhere for an extended period of time was because of me. The moment he wasn't looking I'd run off like some bratty child and make as much mischief as possible. Not everyone knew my name yet and I'd come back with new tattoos, or better yet, covered in blood. He didn't want me killing while we were doing this but there's no way Jeff would have anything to track otherwise. The present I'd delivered to Nina was a result of months of meticulous planning and I made sure not to leave a body behind there, I didn't want the police crawling anywhere near my cousin. Liu just scolded me like an insolent child when I finally came back to Oklahoma in a stolen car before we went home to Colorado.

The day I saw the bodies in Santa Fe I knew they'd been on the right path. I revealed my grandiose scheme to Liu and Ann to get the two of them back to Silver Cove and Ann thought it was brilliant; Liu on the other hand had no faith Jeff would ever return to the town. It was all I could do just to raise an eyebrow at him and ask him if he really thought I was that stupid. Well, turns out I wasn't, and here I was waking up in the arms I'd missed ever since I left.

It had to have been early still as fresh November sunlight beamed through the window while I shifted, turning to find Jeff still out cold, his right arm was wrapped tightly around my body. I took the time to trace his jaw, running my thumb over his scars before I ran my hand down his arm. I'd been absolutely amazed he actually went and got his own tattoos and while they hadn't been something I initially imagined, I thought they were perfect all the same. His shirt was soft and I nestled my head into his chest to listen to his heartbeat, the rhythm soothing as I gripped his shirt in white knuckles hands.

"Snow...?"

A gravelly tone laced his hopeful whisper, absolute music to my ears while I lifted his sleeping mask. Jeff smiled and pinned me to his chest while I squeezed him back just as hard, his hand cradling the back of my head while he pressed his lips to my forehead over and over again. Gentle wasn't typically a word I'd use to describe him but this wasn't entirely different than how I remembered our last night together. I didn't want to be treated gently or like I was fragile but the great care in his movements wasn't something I was going to take for granted, not after I'd spent so long without him.

"I'm here," I whispered, kissing him hard before he sighed against my lips, "I promise."

"I swear I'm never letting you out of my sight again," he chuckled, "oh, and happy birthday, by the way."

"Best birthday present ever," I giggled under my breath as I rested my forehead against his.

Chelsea stirred in the blankets above us and I looked over, spotting her arm hanging over the edge while I figured Thomas had passed out in the front room. We'd polished off the bottle all to ourselves and I owed Delilah a new one for the best night of my life so far. It almost felt like old times again and I nestled myself into his grasp for a few more moments before I sat up and stretched, my shoulders popping while he traced my spine. He ran his hand through my hair and I realized just how long it had been since I cut it.