29. Betrayal

Kitty

It was far past sunset when we finally reached a city I knew inside and out. Snow lined the streets, fresh flakes illuminated by the lampposts and we quickly realized actually getting to the coordinates tonight would be impossible. Taking into account the person who took Chelsea must've figured we'd struggle a little more trying to pick between her and my cousin, they were probably banking on us arriving flustered and in a panic in the morning anyway. Instead we'd be arriving ready for a fight.

"Let's head to Liu's first," Jeff suggested as we turned down a street, "recoup, get our shit in order. He's probably got weapons even if he doesn't want to admit it."

"He does," I confirmed as I parked a little further down the road, "come on."

We stepped out into the snow, crunching through the top layer while I zipped my coat up tighter. I'd already survived one winter here so I knew the drill; Jeff didn't seem too bothered but Thomas sunk further into his jacket in an attempt to hide his chattering. I picked up the pace while I trotted up the steel grated steps and knocked on the door, waiting for Ann to come and see who was there but just as I glanced up to greet her I realized the door hadn't opened. A different kind of chill ran down my spine and I leaned over, shifting my focus to the window only to find that everything was dark inside. They were never gone at this time of night, I thought, violently jiggling the door handle before I slammed my hand against the wood again.

"It's locked," I huffed as I wiggled the knob again, my chest tightening in my panic, "Jeff, pull up and then over on that window."

He moved around me and did as told, the pane taking a moment before it finally budged enough for me to slip inside. This was how I used to sneak back in when Liu would lock me out at night and I was glad to see that he hadn't fixed it. The moment I was inside though I had to bury my face in my sleeve, the harsh smell of chemicals making my eyes water and it raised all kinds of red flags before I unlocked the door to let the boys in.

"What the fuck is that?" Thomas asked as he buried his face in the same motion I made.

"Bleach," Jeff said without hesitation, "something...happened here."

When I tried for the lights I found them inoperable, instead pulling out my phone and using it as a flashlight to try and get a better look around. There was a dark, blotchy stain in the hardwood outside of the kitchen and as Jeff crouched to investigate I already had a good idea of what happened. My hand trembled as I began searching the apartment, looking for any sign that I was wrong, desperately trying to convince myself that the worst I'd been dreading wasn't real. This can't be real. She can't be gone.

"N-No, this isn't right," I stammered as I shuffled around the drawers in Liu and Ann's room, "she'd never leave this behind...all his things are gone..."

"Kitty, what's wrong?"

"Liu...I— I think he snapped," I choked through my tears before I slammed the door shut, "Tom, get Jeff, we have to leave ASAP. This is a crime scene."

We rushed out to the living room and I found Jeff standing in front of something in the kitchen, peering around him to take a look even through my apprehension. Their knife rack had been jostled forward and every single knife was right where it should've been...except one. The breath in my lungs vanished, leaving nothing but fear in it's wake.

"Jeff, honey, we need to leave," I reached for his hand and shook him out of his hyper-fixated stare. "Liu did something bad. We can't trust him."

"I'm surprised you ever trusted me in the first place."

I whipped around at the sound of a familiar but troubling voice. Thomas stood protectively in front of us while Liu's towering figure lingered in the doorway, blocking the only possible route of escape if we didn't want to drop two stories to the ground. The silhouette of a knife caught in his hand as he shifted and a solemn, wholehearted rage wash over my body while I hissed at him.