20. Five course meal

Kitty

It was Tuesday night when we finally stopped off somewhere, parking the car at a local park near sunset and taking the time to get out and stretch our legs. Chelsea checked GPS and revealed we were in the northern part of Utah, the weather a lot colder down here than it had been in Silver Cove and only getting worse. I shivered and wrapped a blanket around myself as I leapt up to sit on top of the SUV and light a smoke.

"You've really got to quit," Jeff leveled a disappointed stare on me as he placed his hands on his hips.

"B-Bite me, bitch," I flipped him off as my teeth chattered.

"Is this where we're planning on camping out for the night?" Thomas asked as he joined me, bumming off my cig while my shivering finally ceased.

"Unless you have any better ideas on where you'd like to leave your decoys," Chelsea laughed, "there's a town literally right down the street. I'm going to swing by a store and get some food for us, but I figured it'd be a good idea to let you goons out to walk first."

"Much appreciated, my legs are killing me," Jeff sighed as he threw his arms into the air to pop his shoulders, my neck cracking as I whipped my head from side to side. Thomas shivered and covered his ears while I snickered at him.

"What, you can eat raw kidneys but you can't stand joints popping?" I teased and he pushed me.

"You're disgusting," he laughed, "I need to eat tonight anyway so this is a good stop."

"Are you, you know," Chelsea started, "going to try...?"

"I might as well, the book did say it elongated my lifespan so hopefully it'll help, even I don't go all the way." Thomas blew smoke before he dropped the cigarette, stomping it out on the pavement after he hopped down. I joined him and Jeff caught me before setting me on my feet.

"Alright, let's get this party rolling."

The sun had already set and night was creeping in, allowing us to move through the darkness with ease. Once we got to one of the residential neighborhoods we split off from Chelsea and Thomas, Jeff and I excitedly bickering over which house to take. We ended up agreeing on a small one with green paint and a black door, scoping out the windows to find which ones we could wiggle and which ones wouldn't work. I ended up finding squat and instead eyed the second story, pulling myself up onto a tree limb and silently jumping onto the shingles before I walked to the glass to pull upward. Bingo.

"Go around back, I'll let you in."

He flashed a thumbs up and I slithered into the home, adjusting my mask as I leaned down and climbed onto the counter of a bathroom, my steps soft as I put my head to the door to listen. Silence. When I opened it to peer around I figured I was in the clear and descended the steps before tiptoeing to the back door, pausing at the entrance to the kitchen when I saw a woman with her head in the fridge. The moment she looked away I slipped past her and flipped the lock up, turning the handle and popping it open while I held a finger to my mask for him to be quiet.

I pointed one of my knives to the kitchen and one upstairs before he held his up to motion he'd take whoever was up there while I snuck to the kitchen. She was still looking through the cabinets and after Jeff gave my rear end a parting squeeze I snuck inside, approaching her with silent steps before I struck. First the neck, slipping my knife between the right vertebrae to paralyze her before she fell into my arms; I dragged her to the middle of the room before her eyes locked on me, pain and terror flashing as she desperately tried to eek out a scream. Those eyes are so pretty when they're terrified. Destroy them.

"I'm sorry sunshine," I whispered as I mounted her hips, spinning my blades around for a moment before I raised them, the sensation of the knives sinking deep into her skull one I cherished every time. There was always resistance as I punctured the back of the sockets but I pushed past it again and again, my laughter slow and dark as I whipped my knives out and sprayed her blood against the walls. I'm going to paint this room red. I wanted to taste it. I flicked my mask up and carefully wrapped my tongue around the blade as the whispers sang for me, letting the blood flow over my lips while I grinned.