19. Hit and run

Kitty

"Hey Nina, you busy?"

"Not at all! What's up?"

I was perched on the roof of Delilah's house as the fog surrounded us, Jeff tossing a few of our things into the back of Chelsea's Xterra while I kept a lookout. A cigarette hung between my fingers and I flicked the ash away before taking a heavier drag.

"I wanted to give you a heads up we'll be heading down to you here soon." I smiled as I shifted, looking out at the evergreens surrounding the city. "Be there in maybe a week, tops. Need to make a decoy stop but I'll have everyone with me."

"No way! That's awesome," she giggled excitedly, "I can't wait to see you Kitty. Things are...things are weird down here, right now."

Alarm bells went off. "What's going on?"

"I don't know, Chris has been really quiet. Like, quieter than usual. Claudia keeps making weirdly empty threats too and I'm just...I don't know. I want to see you. I feel like once you're here everything will get a little easier."

"Well I'm not against slaughtering a few teenagers so just give me the green light and I'll do my job," I snorted, glaring at nothing in particular, "especially not if they're making my Nina-Bean's life a little difficult. You know why I sent you that knife?"

"No actually, why?"

"Because two is always better than one." My eyes drifted down as Jeff paused to wave at me. I waved back and smiled, warmth flooding through me. "Being alone will always hurt you more than help you. A lot of us have realized that recently."

"Is...is everything okay Kitty? You sound like you're about to cry."

"It's been a hard week," I chuckled before I took a deep breath, wiping away said tears, "Tom's not doing well. Liu found us last night, and we were attacked by some guy's minions. Have you seen anyone weird around town?"

"Not as far as I'm aware, and you know me I've always got my eyes peeled. Want me to call if I do?"

"Please." I nodded. "They'll be marked with a symbol. O with an X through it."

"Wait...you mean Slenderman? I thought he was just some urban legend."

"They're calling him Operator up here, I'm surprised you know about him— but then again, I shouldn't be. How much do you know?"

"Just that he steals people. Changes them. Kids go missing where he shows up. Did he try to take someone?"

"He's...trying to take Jeff and I."

There was an extended silence before I caught her swearing under her breath. "Kitty, you need to move quick."

"That's the plan. I'm going to go so we can finish packing, but I'll be there no later than Friday. Deal?"

"Deal," Nina hummed, "I love you. I'll see you soon."

"I love you too. Wait until I get there to do anything stupid and then we can have all the fun we want."

Her laugh echoed over the speaker before I ended the call, putting my cigarette out and walking over to the driveway before I hopped down onto the roof of the Xterra, then onto the ground. Thomas had finally woken up and looked better, but still not good; I pulled him into a tight hug while he trembled and I couldn't tell whether or not it was from the cold.

"What do you remember?" I asked quietly.

"Just blood and feeling like I was drowning," he explained, "are we leaving?"

"Yeah, heading south. We're going to stop by Chelsea's place and grab her things before we leave but once we're out of Silver Cove we're pretty much home free."