35. Sleepwalk

Nina

After sleeping for almost fifteen straight hours I was wired, even with a full stomach. Kitty was passed out on the couch above me while I'd curled up in her sleeping bag, scrolling through my phone and deleting any trace of myself from social media. My family had already made the news and they knew immediately it was me, it didn't take a world class detective to sleuth that one out. I mean, who else would have done something so cruel?

The creak of approaching footsteps distracted me and I Thomas walked out from the hallway, a different jacket on his shoulders and his mask around his face. I made a small 'psst' to get his attention as I sat up and he waved to me, rubbing at my eyes and realizing he had shoes on.

"Are you going out?"

"I'm...still hurting pretty bad. Think I need to eat something."

"Let me get my shoes on, I'll come with you."

I unzipped myself before grabbing for my now clean and blood-free jacket while he waited. I grabbed my knife off the coffee table as I stood, popping my back and snickering when he gagged in response. All I could do was laugh as I followed him out into the night and took a deep breath, glad that I was finally back in Oregon and not in the desert as I tasted rain on the breeze.

"We walking?" I asked.

"Yeah, unless you have a better idea."

"Have any bikes? Maybe a skateboard?"

He arched an eyebrow before gesturing across the street to another house, their garage open and giving me ample space to wander in and take a look around. I spotted two longboards shoved in the back and cracked a grin before tossing one to him and taking off at a running start. It needed a little fine tuning, but the ride was still pretty smooth.

"A little music and a coffee in my hand, now that would be a perfect night!" I laughed as Thomas caught up to me.

"I didn't know you could skate kid, still surprising me after all these years." He grinned as he kicked the ground. "Are we going for round two of being a handy little helper?"

"Bitch, I dance to my own drum! I'm a big kid now, give me some credit!"

"Alright, alright, I'll let you show me what you've got," Thomas beamed and I cracked a massive grin as I kicked, gesturing to the right before we both made a gentle turn.

I knew we were outside of city limits by how sparse the houses became, Thomas pointing to one in the distance with the lights off and a high fence. We kicked up the longboards and tucked them just inside the fence before he led me around, whispering quietly about the best ways to check doors and windows before we found one that was open. He let me use his hand as a boost and I hauled myself into the house, stepping gently until he followed after me.

We stalked through the house side-by-side as we checked the rooms, finding a couple fast asleep in their bed at the end of the hunt. I pointed to the woman and he nodded, a nasty grin crossing his face before we split up and took our victims. Something overcame me, a certain tingling as the blood in my veins caught on fire, the desire to create some carnage grow ten times stronger. The knife fit comfortably in my hands as I ran my fingers gently down the woman's face, her eyelids fluttering for a moment until fear crossed her gaze and replaced the glossy, groggy sheen. In that second I pulled my knife back, slamming it into her ribcage and taking absolute delight as the light left her eyes. Once she'd bled out I dragged my blade across her face, carving the same lovely smile into her cheeks that I'd cut into mine as I dragged her onto the floor.

When I finally looked up from my piece of art I saw Thomas perched on the bed, the chilling echo of ribs cracking when he pried them open sending a violent chill down my spine. My eyes were glued to the scene as sharpened teeth sliced through flesh like a warm knife through butter. Man, he made lungs look tasty. I wondered though why his appetite suddenly changed to include the whole menu instead of just a portion. The man's eyes came out of his skull easily but he appeared troubled as he rolled the man's head around.