36. Giving chances

Eyeless Jack

Even with the odd encounter with a mumbling Jules during the night I still fell asleep the moment I was back under the covers, Chelsea's body snuggling tightly into my side and staying there the whole night through until I woke up late into the next morning. Drool puddled on my shirt beneath Chelsea's lips and I was just glad that she finally felt safe enough to sleep this hard. I glanced down and saw that Jules was already up and moving, meaning it was probably time we got up as well.

"Hey pretty lady," I whispered as I tucked her hair behind her ear, tracing her temple with my thumb until she blinked and looked up at me, "sleep well?"

"After you finally came home, yeah," she mumbled as she hugged me tightly, "feeling better?"

"Lots," I assured her as I brushed my lips against her forehead, "no more pain. Now just to wait until I get the third one out of the way and we can get Jeff back for Kit-Kat."

"It's not just for Kitty and you know it," she teased, sitting up and stretching her arms into the air.

"Yeah, yeah, I miss the fucker too," I waved her off with a smile before I pried myself out of bed, stretching and sorting through my closet to grab one of my long-sleeves to wear, "want to head back to your place?"

"I'd like to. Kitty probably wants to go home for a little while, I'm sure she's pretty eager to bring Jules along."

My mind flashed back to the night prior as I listened to Jules' voice in the kitchen, low and full of a darkness I'd never known from her. Something was very, very wrong, and I was glad Nina was there to see it too. I agreed keeping it on the down-low was the better idea until we could figure out what happened but until then she was the same Jules as ever.

Chelsea stole another one of my band shirts while giving me a cheeky smile and I practically melted as I watched her pull on a pair of jeans. This girl really had my whole heart and as I wrapped my arms around her again I was thanking whoever blessed me enough to be able to have her. Not to mention putting up with the fact I was a man-eater but that was another topic for another day.

"I need to go and fix my hair," she grumbled to herself as she looked in my mirror; it hadn't been a bad cut but it was definitely lopsided and the color was starting to fade to a gentle turquoise over the usual royal blue.

"You should keep it this color," I hummed, kissing her cheek before reaching for the door, "looks good on you!"

I smiled to myself as I walked down the hall, the other girls all lounging in the living room with cups of coffee in their hands. Suddenly I was craving that caramel coffee Chelsea always made me and I had to keep myself from drooling as I thought about it. Nina had already procured her jacket from the dryer and I reached in to grab mine, already noticing stains on the gray fabric and reminding myself I needed to find a new black one soon.

"I'm heading over to Chelsea's with her," I told them as I took a seat beside Nina on the couch, "want me to drop you guys off anywhere?"

"Might as well go and see if mom's home," Kitty suggested just like I thought she would, "you two okay with that?"

"I miss Aunt Ginny," Nina groaned quietly, "yes please!"

"Does she know about...you know...?"

"She walked in on Jeff cleaning up mine and Tom's mess from our big fight and surprisingly she actually heard him out," Kitty snorted while Jules nodded along, "she knows there's things out there well beyond her understanding. I think she'll just be happy to see you both."

"Oh God you assholes make me want coffee," Chelsea finally emerged with her bag over her shoulder, glaring at the three of them much like what I'd done, "let's swing by the Café on the way back, I'll make Sara slip me a cup."