16. Up in smoke

Eyeless Jack

"Hey Delly, what's up?"

"I have an empty nest! Where did all of you go?" She laughed over the speaker; Chelsea sat next to me on the couch while she held the phone between us, a cheeky smile crossing her face while I laughed.

"I'm with Chels right now, Kitty and Jeff went to Kitty's house to see her mom, I'm assuming they aren't home yet?"

"No, she probably wanted to stay with her mom for a little while. They've always been close," she chuckled, "are you staying at Chelsea's?"

I raised an eyebrow at her and Chelsea just shrugged. "Sure, I'll be home tomorrow."

"Alright sounds like a plan, you kids have a good night then. You have your weapon?"

"Always Del," I assured her, "have a good night."

Chelsea took her phone back and laughed to herself while I relaxed, sinking into her couch and taking a deep breath. Her plants were always fragrant and it was soothing to be back at her place, the lights in the kitchen reminding me of little stars while she got to her feet and crossed them like an eclipse.

"Since I don't have to drive you home now, want to get stoned?"

"Is that even a question?" I countered, watching her trot back to the bedroom while I draped my jacket across the back of one of the dining chairs.

When Chelsea returned she'd changed into sweats and a cropped tank top, carrying a bong and her stash jar. She'd plopped down onto the couch again while I rifled around her fridge and pulled a beer, taking a seat beside her after popping the cap off. Chelsea handed over her phone while she loaded the bowl and I scrolled through her playlists until I found one I knew, listening to the low rumble from her stereo as Liquid Stranger echoed in the living room.

"God remember how much we used to smoke with Jules?" She snickered, grabbing for my beer while she traded the lighter, "I'll still never get over the night she fell asleep in Kitty's beanbag and tipped the wine glass over on herself."

"That was a good night," I laughed through my burning coughs before I handed it back over to her, "fuck I haven't smoked in over a year. This is going to get me good."

"The doctors actually recommended pot to help me with my anxiety after you guys left so I got a green card before I hit my birthday." Chelsea grinned with nothing but mischief before she took a pull. I noticed she'd taken her necklace off and I wondered if it was because she didn't have to worry about me staring. I was the one who gave it to her after all.

"No shit?"

"No shit," she snickered, "it feels weird being twenty one. I don't have to bribe my sister to buy me booze anymore."

"I've got...ten months, but it's not like I can whip my card out at the liquor store and have it match." I started to sink into the haze as I leaned back and she set the bong down on the table, the smell of marijuana overpowering the scent of her other plants. I'd forgotten how good it felt to relax after being on the run for so long.

We continued to talk as the sky grew dark outside, the apartment bathed in shadows and ambient light as her string lights twinkled in the kitchen. Chelsea had kicked her legs up onto my lap and I absentmindedly ran my thumb over her shin while I listened to her talk. She was just as bubbly and chaotic as before and I scolded myself, thinking about how I almost took someone like her off of this planet for no good reason. I'm sure she realized I was stewing in my own emotions from how quiet I'd gotten but her voice finally snuck in through the haze.

"Are you and Jeff on good terms now?"

"Yeah, he doesn't want to kill me anymore and I'm over the whole Kitty situation," I sighed as I folded my hands behind my head. "I realized even if he's some mass murderer, she is now too, and there's no better life I could've given her. I'm...actually really glad he can make her happy."