12. Reunion

Eyeless Jack

I was awake for most of the night, too distracted to sleep properly until I finally crashed when the sun came up. I'd gotten used to taking shifts with Jeff so I felt vulnerable sleeping while he was. When I did wake up again it was late into the afternoon and I heard Jeff and Delilah in the living room, laughing about something or another before I pulled a pair of jeans and a new T shirt on.

"Look, sunshine's finally up!" Jeff snickered as I flipped him off, grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge and noticing that Halloween decorations had appeared almost overnight. Tiny canvas ghosts hung around the living room while orange lights brightened and faded beneath the counter. I even spotted a couple pumpkins sitting on the front porch.

"When the hell did all this happen?" I asked as I sat down next to Jeff.

"Oh, he helped me put this up earlier," she laughed, "I took it down from the office today and didn't want to let it go to waste."

"It looks good, going to hand candy out to kids tonight?"

"Of course! You know I'm going to dress the part as well," Delilah chortled while she hid her smile behind her hand.

"I've got my hoodie in the wash so it looks as pristine as I can get it," Jeff snorted, "fuckin' bloodstains man. I need to start wearing black."

"And steal my look? No thank you," I scoffed and he smacked my arm before we both grinned.

"The pot roast I started this morning should be just about done, I figured since we might have guests it'd be a good option for everyone."

"Chelsea will be here in a couple hours," I said, "you know her, anyone else cooks and she's smitten."

"You two okay after that whole incident?"

"Looks like it. I'm just glad she's alright."

"We're finally starting to work down your list of 'people I fucked up'," Jeff snickered as he got to his feet, "one more to go."

"One more to go," my smile softened as I followed after him to the dining table.

Delilah dished up for us and we talked about the Operator and my condition over dinner, my heart jumping in my throat the closer we got to eight and the moment I heard a knock on the door I leapt to my feet, but Delilah was there first. Chelsea walked in and gave her a tight hug, a yellow raincoat wrapped around her shoulders and a familiar dragonfly barrette pinning her hair back. I realized quickly she was dressed up for the occasion and I walked to greet her, pulling her into a tight hug as Delilah closed the door.

"Decided on Coraline this year?" I asked and she nodded, fake freckles on her cheeks somehow making the gray of her eyes more ghostly as she grinned.

"Figured I'd keep it easy," she laughed, catching sight of Jeff as he got up to greet her, "oh my God, look at you! You don't look like a fuckin' zombie— and tattoos?! I'm impressed."

"Like 'em? The shop was pretty seedy but they turned out good."

"Too bad you're gray as an alien, you'd look pretty good with tattoos," she teased me and I shook my head.

"Uh-uh, you know I can't handle needles," I sputtered and Jeff cracked up immediately.

"You run around with a scalpel and dissect people but you can't handle a needle?! That's priceless."

"Not everyone has the pain tolerance of a fucking bull you dick."

I socked him in the arm and he continued to snicker as he went back to the kitchen, Chelsea opting to sit down on the couch with me after Delilah handed her a bowl of pot roast. Not going to lie, I was still pretty nervous being around her, but she seemed to be okay with me so I had to remind myself she was still my friend. Even if I did fuck up. I only hoped Kitty had the same thoughts about the situation; a sensation on my head shook me out of my thoughts though and I realized Chelsea was examining my curls, a mirthful gleam in her eyes.