10. Operator

Jeff

It was late afternoon by the time I finally left, meandering my way back through town until I managed to stumble across Delilah's house, her truck back in the driveway and a light on in the kitchen. The door opened without me knocking and I watched Delilah move about the room while Thomas lounged on the couch, the two of them talking like old friends until he saw me.

"What'd you do, go and get a fuckin' haircut?!" He cackled and I flipped him off.

"I went to Snow's house, her mom was home and I got caught up."

"Her mom knew about you two?" He asked incredulously.

"Yeah, walked in on me cleaning up after our fight and after reassuring her that her daughter was fine we just started talking. She's...honestly more a mother to me than my own mom was."

"Uh-oh, mommy issues," Delilah laughed from the sink as I dropped down onto the couch.

"Yeah, yeah, laugh it up. She offered to cut my hair, it feels a lot better."

"Remind me to wander over there, have her trim this mane," he snorted as he ran a hand through his bustling curls. "Chelsea isn't working tonight so we can either wait until tomorrow or head to her place."

"From what her mom told me it's probably better we go to the Café, she's still jumpy and being in public should make her feel better."

"Guess that mean's we're in for the night then."

I sighed, throwing my hands behind my head and settling in, "when's the next time we need to go and get you kidneys?"

"Uh," Thomas paused, "relatively soon, although..."

"Hm?"

"We found out what's really going on with him," Delilah explained, pointing a finger at the bookcase next to me; my jaw dropped as one of the books floated off the shelf, flipping open to a page before nestling itself into my lap.

"What the fuck?!" I bitched, "I want to move things like that!"

"Sorry honey, there's not a lick of magic in your blood," she leveled with me as she walked over, "I'd stick to the knife play."

"Damn."

"Thomas is what we'd technically consider an eldritch demon," Delilah started, "now, 'demon' doesn't necessarily mean 'evil', it's just a term someone slapped on there a millennia ago."

"I don't know, he seems pretty fuckin' evil to me," I snickered and he punched my arm.

"The other reason it's referred to as a demon is because of what they eat. You already know about the kidneys but kidneys alone only stave off the eventual transformation or, like he's believed for years, death. He has a choice."

"Either you die a man or turn into a monster," I observed as I scanned through the page, "and to do that...oh God. You have to eat all of this?"

"At least three times over for the transformation to be complete." He waved his hand dramatically. "If I only do it once and keep going I'll deteriorate, but at a slower rate."

"You also get some sharp ass new teeth," I snickered. "Dude, this could actually be pretty cool."

"Okay, but think of it this way: who wants to fuck an actual eldritch horror? I'll be a virgin for the rest of eternity."

"You're a virgin?" I snorted as I flipped through the book a little more before Delilah took it away, "I thought you at least laid some pipe with Darbs before Snow took her eyeballs out."