t͓̽h͓̽i͓̽r͓̽t͓̽y͓̽o͓̽n͓̽e͓̽. a͓̽l͓̽w͓̽a͓̽y͓̽s͓̽ k͓̽n͓̽e͓̽w͓̽

".. and you ask, 'when did i first know?' , i always knew."
black and white - niall horan
☂︎ ☂︎ ☂︎ ☂︎ ☂︎ ☂︎ ☂︎ ☂︎ ☂︎ ☂︎ ☂︎ ☂︎ ☂︎ ☂︎ ☂︎ ☂︎ ☂︎ ☂︎

march 2nd, 2020

the two of them sat in awkward silence in the diner they'd decided to meet at. eleanor picked at her nails nervously, beginning to grow anxious because of the lack of conversation

"for someone who wants so badly to fix things... you sure don't have a lot to say" she remarked, annoyance laced in her voice to mask the anxiety she was feeling

daniel rubbed the back of his neck nervously, "yeah, i-i know.. i just don't want to say the wrong thing"

she gave him a slight nod and looked down at the food in front of her, pushing around her fries to distract herself

"i'm sorry, len" he mumbled softly, causing her to look up. the held eye contact for a moment before he continued, "for everything that i've ever done to hurt you.. i'm sorry. i mean it when i tell you that i love you, and i hate that you don't believe me"

"it's not about me not believing you" eleanor sighed, pushing her plate away from her, "every time i think things are going to be different, we always end up back here. i can't do the back and forth shit anymore, daniel. i just can't"

daniel reached across the table, laying his hand on top of eleanors. she tensed up for a moment before allowing herself to relax. not that she'd admit it, but she missed the feeling of him holding her hand.

"then let's stop." he concluded, giving her hand a gentle squeeze, "nothing happened that day at renee's house. i went over there to tell her to leave you alone" he sighed, "i never expected her to send you a picture of me over there and make you think other wise. i'm sorry for the misunderstanding-"

"but what about when she was at your house?"

"i asked her to come over so i could tell her to leave us alone" he explained to her, "lennie, i don't want to be friends with anyone who makes you feel like you're competing for my attention. there's no competition. i'd choose you every single time."

she tentatively pulled her hand away from his so she could wipe away the tears that had began to pool in her eyes

"i- i didn't mean to make you cry-"

"no, no.. it's.. they're not sad tears" she dismissed his apology, "after what happened between us.. i constantly asked myself what i had done wrong-"

"you had never done anything wrong, baby" he cut her off, "i was a complete idiot then, and even now, but you were never the issue. it was never anything you had done. i love you, len, and i'll spend the rest of my life proving that to you if i have to"

"sounds an awful lot like a proposal to me"

he breathed out a laugh and slightly shrugged his shoulders, "i'm hoping one day it will be"

"you want to marry me?" her breath caught in her throat, "when'd you know that?"

"i've always known.. from the day we got together.. i just knew" he smiled, "you're it for me, lennie"

she nodded, "let's do this. for real this time"

"for real?"

"no more back and forth bullshit"

"no more back and forth bullshit" he confirmed, a wide smile spreading across his face, "believe me, i love you."

"i believe you."